Poisoned Meatballs Found in Hayes Valley

You may have heard that two dogs were poisoned after eating meatballs found on the streets of the Twin Peaks area earlier this week. Yesterday the Examinerreported that more tainted meat was found in additional neighborhoods, including Cole Valley, Bernal Heights, and right here in Hayes Valley.

The news comes courtesy of Dr. Carrie Jurney from the Animal Internal Medicine and Specialty Services (AIMSS). There's no word on where in Hayes Valley the poisoned meatballs were found, but thankfully AIMSS reports that no additional dogs have been sickened from the meat.

The original meatballs reportedly contained strychnine, a toxin which is absorbed very quickly and can cause seizures, hyperthermia, and respiratory problems. If you encounter any street meatballs (streetballs?), you're advised not to handle them without gloves, and to call the SFPD anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444. Also, keep your dogs on leash, and if you think they've eaten anything off the street, AIMSS suggests you immediately take them to the nearest emergency vet.

Police have yet to identify a motive or suspect behind the poisoned meat. We'll update if we learn any more information.

Never miss a story.

Subscribe today to get Hoodline delivered straight to your inbox.