Hoodline is seeking a full-time Associate Editor to join our San Francisco-based local news team.
The ideal candidate has a journalism background, experience writing and editing for the web, and an interest in working collaboratively with a team of community contributors. The job will involve some writing, but will mostly entail generating ideas, assigning, editing and publishing local news stories from contributors across the city.
Begun in 2010 as a blog about the Lower Haight neighborhood of San Francisco, Hoodline’s coverage of local businesses, breaking news and culture has expanded to become one of the largest news sites in the city, with dozens of freelancers writing about their neighborhoods and thousands of readers tipping us off to important stories, all supported by our tech platform. We began covering Oakland in December of 2016, and we have more cities in the works.
We also joined with Pixel Labs in August of 2016 to pursue the common vision of figuring out how cities really work, using our model of street-level reporting, community involvement, and location data.
We’re backed by a range of top tech investors and journalism leaders, including Greylock, Social Capital, the Knight Foundation, and Matter VC. Our team has years of success in consumer tech, online and local media.
We offer competitive compensation, early equity, and the chance to be part of an innovative team looking for the next big things in local news, information and discovery.
This position is based out of our (dog-friendly) San Francisco office.
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of editing experience at a professional publication, including experience managing multiple writers
- Copy editing experience and familiarity with executing a style guide (AP or otherwise)
- Proficiency in content management systems, basic photo editing and social media platforms
- Knowledge and familiarity with San Francisco, and curiosity to learn a whole lot more
- Ability to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams
- Attention to detail, excellent communication skills, positive attitude, and interest in tackling new challenges with energy and creativity
Interested? Please email email@example.com with your resume and a brief description of who you are, why you're interested in working for Hoodline, why you're a good fit for the position, and any other relevant details you think we should know about.
Never miss a story.
Subscribe today to get Hoodline delivered straight to your inbox.