Clothes Dryer Fire Displaces 4 From Inner Sunset Home

A faulty clothes dryer led to a residential fire this morning in the Inner Sunset that displaced four people.

According to the San Francisco Fire Department, firefighters responded to the 1-alarm blaze at 2232 16th Ave. (between Rivera and Santiago) three minutes after receiving the call "and had water on the fire quickly."

Video from the scene shows black smoke billowing from the home's garage, with fire hoses snaking through the front door and other personnel carrying additional equipment between homes to reach the rear of the building.

According to SFFD, the four adults who were displaced are receiving assistance from Red Cross Bay Area, and city services are "on standby for assistance if applicable," but no injuries were reported.

Via Facebook, the department encouraged residents to reduce fire hazards associated with clothes dryers by keeping them clean.

The National Fire Protection Association reports that dryers accounted for 92 percent of the estimated 15,970 residential fires involving dryers and washing machines between 2010 and 2014. The failure to clean caused a third of dryer fires, said NFPA.

Never miss a story.

Subscribe today to get Hoodline delivered straight to your inbox.

Clothes dryer fire displaces 4 from inner sunset home