Last Wednesday, the Upper Haight's infrastructure project was hit with yet another gas line rupture, but construction on the accident-prone project resumes today.
According to Alex Murillo, Public Affairs Officer at Public Works, a subcontractor was hand-digging in front of Black Scale clothing at 1409 Haight and struck a half-inch gas line. Gas service was interrupted for Black Scale and X-Generation next door for about two hours.
Murillo said in an email that safety protocols agreed upon after last year's rash of gas line ruptures were followed, and that work was halted for an internal review. Last last week and over the weekend, the "No Parking" signs were removed from the 1400 block to free up parking. Work on the project will resume today, Murillo confirmed.
Haight Street merchants are bracing for the project to resume, as every gas leak and setback means more time that business is impacted negatively for them.
"This is having a devastating impact to our business and is a huge problem for the residents and merchants," Dave Groeschel of Mom's Tattoo said in an email. "We need to have the city make sure that everyone is safe but speaking as a merchant, we need to get some sort of compensation for all this time we have been damaged financially by the incompetence of those running and working on this project."
We'll keep you updated as the construction schedule changes.
And, if you'd like to review the saga, cue up Yakety Sax and peruse the timeline:
Major Infrastructure Project On Haight And Hayes Begins This Week (4/27/15)
- Construction Crew Ruptures Gas Line At Haight & Masonic (4/29/15)
- Sinkhole Opens On Haight Street, As Predicted (5/7/15)
- Haight Gas Leak & Sinkhole Prompt Public Meeting Tomorrow (5/14/15)
- Gas Main Ruptured On Baker Street Between Oak And Page (7/29/15)
- Work Crews Break Gas Main At Haight And Masonic, Again (8/27/15)
- More Details On Haight Street's String Of Gas Line Ruptures (9/8/15)
- 4th Gas Line Rupture Prompts Hiatus For Haight Street Infrastructure Project (9/19/15)
- Following Mishaps, Upper Haight Infrastructure Work To Resume (9/24/15)
- 5th Gas Line Rupture Hits The Haight (10/6/15)
- Today's Upper Haight Gas Leak Due To Shoring Wall Collapse (10/8/15)
- Work Suspended On Upper Haight Infrastructure Project Yet Again (10/12/15)
- Yet Another Sinkhole Opens On Haight, Neighborhood Groups Demand Answers (10/22/15)
- Public Hearing To Discuss Troubled Haight Infrastructure Project This Thursday (1/12/16)
- Subcontractor Officially Fired From Haight Infrastructure Job (1/13/16)
- Finger-Pointing Continues As New Subcontractors Are Hired For Haight Street Project (1/19/2016)
- Haight Street Infrastructure Project To Resume In March (2/16/16)
- Upper Haight Infrastructure Project Strikes Yet Another Gas Line (9/14/16)
Never miss a story.
Subscribe today to get Hoodline delivered straight to your inbox.