It’s the only planet we have. Since 1970, April 22 has been set aside as an annual day to celebrate nature and environmentalism.
Looking for ways to honor the Earth? Hoodline crunched the numbers, using both Yelp data and our own methodology to produce a ranked list of the best parks, botanical gardens, and vegetarian eats around Washington.
Venturing outside is the basic start to an Earth Day celebration. Get inspired with these top-rated parks near you.
1. Meridian Hill Park
Topping the list is Meridian Hill Park. Cascading down three blocks between Euclid and W streets NW in Columbia Heights, it is the highest rated park in Washington, boasting 4.5 stars out of 152 reviews on Yelp.
2. Georgetown Waterfront Park
Next up is Georgetown Waterfront Park, which is situated along the Potomac River at 3000 K St. NW. With 4.5 stars out of 91 reviews on Yelp, it has proven to be a local favorite.
3. Rock Creek Park
Rock Creek Park, which cuts a huge swath through the north-central part of the city, is another top choice, with Yelpers giving it five stars out of 10 reviews.
Cutting down on meat is a good place to start reducing your footprint, not to mention a healthy choice for most people. Get a taste for vegetarian fare at these top veggie-forward eateries.
1. Falafel Inc
Topping this list is Falafel Inc. Located at 1210 Potomac St. NW (between North Prospect and North M streets) in Georgetown, the fast food Middle Eastern restaurant in Washington gets five stars from its 402 reviews on Yelp.
2. HipcityvegNext up is Downtown's HipCityVeg, situated at 712 Seventh St. NW (between North H and North G streets). With 4.5 stars out of 724 reviews on Yelp, the vegetarian burger, sandwich and salad spot definitely has its fans.
3. Seventh HillCapitol Hill's Seventh Hill, located at 327 Seventh St. SE (between South C Street and South Pennsylvania Avenue), is another top choice. Yelpers give the veg-friendly pizza and sandwich joint four stars averaged over its 360 reviews.
Get a closer look at the wonders of the natural world by hitting a local botanical garden. For extra credit, don't forget a sketchbook.
1. United States Botanic GardenHighest on this list is the United States Botanic Garden. Located at 100 Maryland Ave. SW in Capitol Hill, it is the highest rated botanical garden in Washington, with 4.5 stars out of 437 reviews on Yelp.
2. National Arboretum
The National Arboretum is the runner-up. Occupying a large part of Northeast Washington (its official address is 3501 New York Ave. NE), it can boast of 4.5 stars out of 250 reviews on Yelp.
3. Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens
Finally, located just across the Anacostia River from the Arboretum, at 1550 Anacostia Ave. NE, is Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens. It's a top choice among nature lovers, with Yelpers giving it 4.5 stars out of 95 reviews.