Detroit/ Crime & Emergencies
AI Assisted Icon
Published on March 28, 2024
Detroit Man Accused in Fentanyl Death of Birmingham Teen Fails to Appear in Court, Warrant IssuedSource: Detroit Police Department

A Detroit man who was expected in court for his alleged role in a young man's fatal overdose has reportedly skipped his court appearance, leading to the issuance of a bench warrant. Aron Miranda, 24, faced charges for the 2021 fentanyl overdose death of 19-year-old Jack McCarthy from Birmingham, as per FOX 2 News. Miranda was a no-show for the preliminary exam set for Tuesday in Wayne County's 36th District Court.

According to The Oakland Press, the hearing was intended to assert whether there was probable cause to advance the case to circuit court for a possible trial. The accused was ultimately slapped with charges including delivery of a controlled substance causing death and felony firearm, with investigations revealing Miranda allegedly utilized Snapchat to peddle counterfeit pills laced with fentanyl.

This case, emerging from what was detailed as an "extensive, multi-year investigation" by Birmingham detectives and Oakland County’s Narcotics Enforcement Team, culminated in a search warrant that yielded narcotics, firearms, body armor, and currency. The alleged transaction, happening on Detroit ground, prompted the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office to authorize the criminal charges in December 2023.

Miranda, if found and convicted, finds himself facing a life sentence for the charge of delivery of a controlled substance causing death; the drug dealing charge carries a 20-year maximum penalty, and the firearm charge a two-year sentence. The tragedy of the event was underlined by the fact that McCarthy believed he was buying Xanax to manage his anxiety, only to receive fentanyl-laced counterfeit pills, with an attorney alleging he ingested enough fentanyl "to kill two people," as recounted by McCarthy was found dead less than an hour after the supposed drug purchase.

The case provides a damning view into the opioid crisis still gripping parts of the country and the grave consequences of the illicit drug trade. Miranda had been granted a $150,000 personal bond and was due back in court for a probable cause hearing initially set for March 20, prior to failing to appear.