Chicago/ Crime & Emergencies
AI Assisted Icon
Published on April 16, 2024
Ammonia Spill at Gordon Ramsay's Naperville Eatery Triggers Emergency Evacuation, One HospitalizedSource: Google Street View

An unexpected HazMat incident struck Ramsay's Kitchen, owned by culinary titan Gordon Ramsay, in Naperville last night, prompting an emergency evacuation and leaving one individual in need of hospital care. Spilled ammonia's pungent presence forced first responders and HazMat technicians to spring into action around 9:14 p.m., as reported by FOX 32 Chicago. Approximately one gallon of the noxious chemical was found to be releasing toxic fumes from the restaurant's basement, triggering the evacuation.

Patrons of the fine dining establishment, located at 39 W. Jefferson Ave., were quickly ushered out by staff members before fire crews arrived on scene to assess and to immediately contain the situation. In the wake of the evacuation, one individual required medical attention and was subsequently transported to Edward Hospital. Their condition was deemed stable, officials said in a statement obtained by NBC Chicago.

The Naperville Fire Department's Hazmat specialists leveraged specialized absorbent materials to neutralize the harmful ammonia spill efficiently within 30 minutes. Ensuring the safety of those involved, firefighters remained diligently on the scene for an additional half hour to air out the pervasive fumes, making certain the environment was secure for reentry.

Following the successful clean-up, restaurant staff and evacuated customers were granted permission to safely re-enter the establishment. Since its grand opening in May 2023, Ramsay's Kitchen has been a culinary highlight in Naperville, and last night's incident serves as a potent reminder of the unforeseen risks that can surface even in the most prestigious of settings. The spill was confirmed to have been confined strictly to the basement area of the restaurant.