Washington, D.C./ Crime & Emergencies
AI Assisted Icon
Published on April 13, 2024
Trio Indicted for Violent Carjacking and Robbery Spree Across Washington D.C. and MarylandSource: Google Street View

Three men from D.C. have been slammed with a 14-count indictment related to a series of violent armed carjackings and robberies that plagued both Washington D.C. and suburban Maryland last month. As announced by U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves and FBI Special Agent in Charge David J. Scott, the accused, Kanard Bishop, 26, Edward LeRoy Brown, 24, and Khalil Boyd, 18, are staring down Federal charges including conspiracy, carjacking, and brandishing firearms during a crime of violence, detailed in court filings obtained by the Department of Justice.

The crime spree spanned from armed takeovers of fast-food joints to daylight theft of a FedEx truck. Setting the legal gears into motion on April 10, these indictments bring charges against the trio who, the documents allege, used a mix of carjacked vehicles and cars from associates to hit various commercial targets. Their spree began with a stolen Mercedes on Southern Ave., SE, and included other attempted heists, like a botched robbery at a McDonald’s in Capitol Heights, where the crooks failed to open the cash register, according to the indictment.

In a chaotic early morning rampage on March 20, the masked assailants made several armed attempts within hours: failing to loot a Denny's Restaurant, being thwarted by a cashier at another McDonald's, and succeeding in robbing a 7-Eleven and a 24-hour market for cash and goods. The string of crimes came to a head in broad daylight on March 27, as Prince George’s County police responded to a carjacking followed by the robbery of a FedEx truck that was captured by surveillance, marking a brazen escalation in their criminal campaign. On the following day, when detectives spied a previously carjacked 2022 Dodge Challenger in District Heights and prepared to pounce, robbery plans by the suspects unfurled at a local Game Stop.

A dramatic takedown ensued: detectives from the Prince George’s County Police Department’s Carjacking Interdiction Unit cornered the suspects during the act. Bishop and Brown, also known as "Shiesty," attempted to flee but were apprehended after a short chase, with Brown sustaining a gunshot wound in the process. Boyd, who led police on a harried chase, eventually crashed and was caught trying to escape on foot. A loaded .40 caliber Glock 22 and a "ghost gun" were among the firearms recovered at the scenes of these high-stakes crimes.

The case falls under the intensive scrutiny of the FBI Washington’s Violent Crime Task Force and the MPD Carjacking Task Force, with crucial support from local police. Spearheading the legal battle, Assistant U.S. Attorneys Melissa Jackson and Omeed Assefi, with Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Katherine Toth at the helm, are tasked with bringing the accused to justice. With the charges now filed, Bishop, Brown, and Boyd could face significant time in federal prison if convicted, turning the page on a chapter of violence that rattled the D.C. metropolitan area.