Houston/ Weather & Environment
AI Assisted Icon
Published on June 13, 2024
Houston Braces for Weather Whiplash: Sunny Skies and Storm Risks AheadSource: Google Street View

The city of Houston is prepping for a varied weather scenario in the upcoming days, with forecasts pointing towards both serene and stormy conditions. According to the National Weather Service, today Houstonians can anticipate a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., under mostly sunny skies and a heat index reaching a sizzling 102 degrees. As the night unfolds, the temperatures are expected to settle around a comfortable 76 degrees.

Coming Friday, the sun will dominate the skies with forecasters predicting high temperatures near the mid-90s, though the evening will bring reprieve with lows again around 76 degrees. But the weekend starts to hint of potential unrest, as the National Weather Service Houston has noted an increase in storminess expected next week in Southeast Texas, despite the tranquil onset of the weekend.

The National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center out of Norman, Oklahoma, adds another layer to the emergent weather narrative. In a report released, there is an anticipation of scattered severe storms capable of producing large hail and severe wind gusts, some peaking at 80 mph, for areas of the central Plains extending into the weekend. Houston, while not in the path of the severest weather, may not entirely escape the peripheral impacts of these systems.

As the workweek resumes, the looming threat of thunderstorms becomes more pronounced. "Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 1 pm, then showers and thunderstorms likely after 1 pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 89. Chance of precipitation is 60%" details the National Weather Service, regarding next week's forecast. Moreover, the development of a storm system in the southwestern Gulf of Mexico remains under watch, with medium-term development chances now standing at 40 percent.

Residents should remain updated on forecasts and heed any warnings issued as this complex weather pattern evolves.