Los Angeles/ Community & Society

LA County's 8 Family Homeless Centers Saved From Closure Through 2027

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 14, 2026
LA County's 8 Family Homeless Centers Saved From Closure Through 2027Source: Google Street View

Eight Family Solutions Centers scattered across Los Angeles County — from Lancaster to the San Gabriel Valley — were staring down closure this summer as federal and state cutbacks squeezed homelessness services. Now a $2.68 million rescue package is keeping their doors open through June 30, 2027, preserving a safety net that thousands of unhoused families rely on to avoid the street.

The deal combines $680,600 from the United Way of Greater Los Angeles's Home for Good Funders Collaborative with roughly $2 million from two Los Angeles County departments, according to the Press Telegram. The county's Homeless Services & Housing Department contributed about $1.375 million, while the Department of Public Social Services added $625,000, the paper reported. Together with the private grant, the funding stabilizes operations at all eight centers, which span Metro LA, Southeast LA, the Westside, South Bay, Antelope Valley, San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley.

The centers serve as the county's designated entry points under the Coordinated Entry System for Families, working alongside the 211 LA hotline to screen households and connect them to rapid rehousing and public benefits, according to 211LA. They provide access to housing, public benefits, employment services and community-based supports, per the Press Telegram's reporting — services meant to keep people from ending up on the street, going without food, or losing a job.

One Family's Brush With Homelessness

For Destiny Ruiz, the Family Solutions Center in Lancaster wasn't an abstraction. After taking extended leave from work due to pregnancy-related medical complications, Ruiz fell three months behind on rent, the Press Telegram reported. The Valley Oasis-operated center covered her past-due rent and provided five additional months of rental assistance.

“The Family Solutions Center gave me the ability to stay in my home, focus on my health, and prepare for my baby's arrival without the constant fear of losing everything,” Ruiz said, according to the Press Telegram. Valley Oasis, which runs the Lancaster site, hosted a resource fair there on January 30 as part of its broader outreach.

A County Department Born From Crisis

The rescue funding lands at a pivotal moment for LA County's homelessness bureaucracy. The Board of Supervisors created the Department of Homeless Services and Housing in 2025 to unify programs previously split between Housing for Health and the Homeless Initiative, with the agency officially launching operations on January 1 under inaugural Director Sarah Mahin, according to the LA County Department of Homeless Services and Housing.

“We can achieve better outcomes when we work together across systems instead of in silos,” Mahin said, per the Press Telegram's account. Jackie Contreras, director of the Department of Public Social Services, echoed that framing, saying lasting solutions require strong partnerships and that the Family Solutions Centers embody a collaborative approach.

An $843 Million Budget With $200 Million in Cuts

That collaboration was tested earlier this year. In February, the Board of Supervisors approved an $843 million budget for the Department of Homeless Services and Housing, funded mostly by Measure A sales tax revenue, but the department was still forced to cut nearly $200 million from outreach and temporary housing programs to close a projected $303 million shortfall, according to Pasadena Now. The squeeze wasn't new — a draft internal memo from the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority in August 2025 had already warned that family shelter spaces, motel vouchers and rental subsidies had hit maximum capacity, forcing providers to halt new family enrollments, as reported by LAist.

County data released in August indicated more than 3,000 family households were actively experiencing homelessness across LA County even as the emergency funding was being deployed, according to the United Way of Greater Los Angeles. That number complicates the picture painted by the July Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count, which showed a 14% drop in unsheltered family homelessness — a change officials attributed to reductions in available family shelter resources and shifts in survey tracking rather than a genuine decline in need, per LAist's reporting on the count.

Philanthropy Steps In Where Public Funds Fall Short

The Home for Good Funders Collaborative didn't stop at family centers. The group also awarded $350,000 in August to help fund seven adult Access Centers across LA County outside the city of Los Angeles through fiscal year 2026–27, the United Way announced. The geographic reach of the Family Solutions Centers themselves is detailed in a directory from Chirp LA, which confirms the eight sites cover every Service Planning Area in the county.

The local rescue arrives amid a much larger funding squeeze. More than $217 million in federal Continuum of Care grant allocations from HUD remain at risk of cuts and government shutdown delays, according to LA Family Housing — a threat that looms over county and philanthropic efforts alike. The pattern of families cycling through motels while waiting for permanent placements was documented in Hoodline's reporting on family housing waitlists earlier this summer, underscoring how thin the margin has become between stability and crisis for families like Ruiz's.

For now, the $2.68 million agreement buys the eight centers roughly a year of certainty, through June 30, 2027. Whether that stability extends beyond next summer will depend on decisions still being made in Sacramento and Washington, as county officials and philanthropic partners continue to lean on each other to fill gaps neither can close alone.