The 14th annual Colfax Marathon will be held on Sunday, May 19 — and for locals who won't be lacing up their running shoes, the marathon can mean headaches over transportation and road closures. Read on for what you need to know.
Colfax Avenue will see full and partial closures in both westbound and eastbound directions, stretching from Aurora to Lakewood and lasting until as late as 1 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.
Marathon organizers urge drivers to avoid Colfax Avenue on Sunday morning, as crossing any intersections along Colfax will be allowed on a "very limited basis when safety allows and only at intersections with uniformed police officers." But if you'd like to attempt a crossing, your best bet will be at Interstate 25, Federal Boulevard and Interstate 225.
Public transportation will also be disrupted, with many bus routes and the D, F and H light rail lines detoured or delayed from 3 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. So, if you're not running or cheering on the race, this Sunday might be the day to plan for a lazy morning at home.
Here's the full list of road closures and details from marathon organizers:
Colfax Ave in Aurora
The half-marathon course starts at Denver’s City Park, heads east on Montview Avenue to Yosemite Street in Aurora, continues south to East 17th Avenue, then East to Galena Street, then south to 16th Avenue, west to Del Mar Parkway, north to East 17th Avenue, then returns west to Dayton, south to Colfax, west on Colfax to Oneida, north to East 17th Avenue, west on 17th back to Denver’s City Park.
- Westbound Colfax Avenue will be closed from Havana Street to Yosemite Street at 5:40 a.m.
- East 17th Avenue will be closed to all eastbound traffic from Colorado Blvd to Yosemite Street at 7 a.m. until 11 a.m.
- East 16th Avenue will be closed to all east and westbound traffic from Havana Street to Chester Street at 6 a.m.
- Yosemite Street will be closed to all north and southbound traffic from Montview Ave. to Colfax Ave from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Colfax Avenue in Denver
- Westbound Colfax will be closed from 4 a.m. to 9 a.m. from Esplanade to Speer.
- Colorado Blvd between Colfax Avenue and East 23rd Avenue will be closed from 5 a.m. to noon.
- Southbound off-ramp to I-25 at Colfax Avenue will be closed until noon.
- Speer Boulevard at Colfax Avenue in both directions will have very long delays from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. Speer is open once the runners drop down onto the CC Bike Path. Colfax can be pierced by traffic north-south after 8a.m.
- The only places to cross Colfax Avenue will be at I-25 or Federal Boulevard.
- Seventeenth Street will be open as the runners will be in the far north lanes only. Some cross traffic and turns will be limited.
- The last runner will cross westbound Colfax Avenue at Speer Boulevard at approximately 7:30 a.m. and the road will open shortly after.
- The last runner will leave Raleigh and Colfax (they will go north and south on Raleigh to Sloan’s Lake, encircling it) at approximately 8:45 a.m.
- The last runner will cross westbound Colfax Avenue at Sheridan Boulevard at approximately 10 a.m.
- The last marathon runners will pass through downtown at 11:30 a.m.
- The last marathon runners will cross eastbound East 17th Avenue at Vine Street at approximately 11:53 a.m.
- The last marathon runners will enter City Park at East 21st Avenue & York Street at Noon.
Colfax Avenue in Lakewood
This year's marathon route in Lakewood will take runners along West Colfax, turning north on Pierce Street, traveling through Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design, returning to Pierce Street and heading north to West 20th Avenue. The runners return to Colfax Avenue at Glen Moor Drive, heading east, remaining in the westbound lanes of Colfax Avenue.
- North to south streets that cross Colfax from Sheridan Boulevard to Garrison Street will be closed to through traffic from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- To move traffic north and south through the area, motorists will be funneled on detour routes to Interstate 70 and Federal Boulevard, using West Sixth, West 26th and West 32nd Avenues.
- Kipling Street is open to north/south traffic crossing W. Colfax.
- Traffic traveling east on W. Colfax will be diverted south on Garrison Street, then continue east on W. 14th Ave.
- Traffic will be allowed to proceed westbound on Colfax from Garrison.
- Traffic will be allowed limited access to local only traffic across W. 20th Avenue at signaled intersections. Expect delays.
- Local traffic and marathon spectators will be permitted access.
- Access to Colfax businesses open on May 19th will be allowed from side streets either through limited-access lanes on Colfax Avenue marked with cones or through police escorts.
- Access to and from residences and churches adjacent to Colfax Avenue will be allowed through the use of side streets.
- The last runner will be off of Colfax Avenue in Lakewood at approximately 10:30 a.m.
- Colfax Avenue will be cleaned and swept immediately following the passage of runners.