A Katy Family's Meal at Rainforest Café Takes a Terrifying Turn with Emergency Surgery Scare Due to a Burger Battery Incident

 A Katy Family's Meal at Rainforest Café Takes a Terrifying Turn with Emergency Surgery Scare Due to a Burger Battery IncidentSource: Google Street View
Maddie Taylor Hartley
Published on December 05, 2023

A family's dining experience at the Rainforest Café in Katy, Texas, took a shocking turn when their three-year-old daughter, Isabella, spit out a button battery from her hamburger—an alarming incident that prompted an urgent medical response and police involvement. Marga Matthews recounted the distressing event, saying her granddaughter vomited another battery upon closer inspection by her son, who then alerted the restaurant manager and contacted the Katy Police Department, as reported by Click2Houston.

The Matthews family's ordeal, which required emergency surgery at Texas Children’s Hospital to prevent acidic damage from the ingested batteries, has triggered a thorough investigation by Landry's Inc., the parent company of the Rainforest Café. “We have launched a full-scale investigation into this matter to find out what really happened and have no updates to share at this time,” COO Keith Beitler told Click2Houston, reflecting the seriousness with which the company is treating the situation.

As the investigation continues, Isabella has been recovering at home. Her family is left dealing with the aftermath of a meal gone dangerously wrong and a call for justice to prevent future incidents of this nature. “This is very upsetting and whoever did this needs to go to jail,” Isabella’s grandmother adamantly told Click2Houston.