Yesterday, just before the clock struck five in the afternoon, panic flared briefly on the streets of Pleasanton as a lithium-ion battery-powered scooter went rogue, its malfunction leading to a fire that could have spelled catastrophe—but instead was swiftly contained thanks to the quick response of Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department Engine Company 91. The team called to the 4700 block of Augustine Street, found the fiery scooter threatening peace and stability in the residential enclave.
The potential danger posed by the device was not lost on the firefighters. Thus without hesitation, they called upon the expertise of the Hazardous Materials Response Team to aid in mitigating the situation, reflecting an ever-present awareness of the volatility of lithium-ion batteries, the same powerhouse lurking in our laptops, our phones, in the subtle cradle of our palms.
Rendered safe through overpacking the damaged battery cell for disposal, the hazard was averted in a precise operation that saw the potential crisis dismantled without the toll of human injury, the fire department shared in a Facebook post.