San Antonio/ Crime & Emergencies

62-Year-Old Man Found Dead Near Windcrest After Assault Call Baffles Police

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 16, 2026
62-Year-Old Man Found Dead Near Windcrest After Assault Call Baffles PoliceSource: Facebook/San Antonio Police Department

Officers responding to a report of an assault in progress just after midnight on the 5100 block of Crestway Road near Randolph Boulevard instead found a 62-year-old man already dead, San Antonio police say. What happened in the moments before officers arrived remains unclear, and investigators have not said whether the death will ultimately be classified as a homicide.

According to WOAI, San Antonio police confirmed the man was found dead under unknown circumstances after officers were dispatched to the address for the assault call. Police said what led up to the man's death is unknown, and the case currently has no identified suspects and no arrests, per the same report. The man's identity has not been released, and the investigation remains ongoing, the station notes.

A Jurisdictional Border on the Northeast Side

The location sits near the boundary between San Antonio and Windcrest, an incorporated suburban municipality of roughly 1.1 square miles that maintains its own city government and police force even as it is bordered by San Antonio along major roads like Crestway Road, according to a Windcrest neighborhood guide from LRG Realty. The 5100 block of Crestway Road lies near Randolph Boulevard, a corridor that connects nearby residential subdivisions to routes serving Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, per background compiled on Wikipedia's overview of San Antonio's neighborhoods and districts.

It's not the first time this stretch of roadway has drawn a heavy law enforcement response. Hoodline previously covered deputies swarming Crestway Road in the 6400 block during a February active-scene response that prompted public safety alerts before the sheriff's office declared the threat over.

Why the Cause of Death Could Take Months to Confirm

Because officers responded to a call for an assault in progress and instead found someone already deceased, the case sits at a legal fork in the road. Under Texas Penal Code Section 22.02, an assault causing serious bodily injury is a second-degree felony punishable by 2 to 20 years in prison, while Texas Penal Code Section 19.02 classifies an intentional or dangerous act that causes death as first-degree murder, punishable by 5 to 99 years or life in prison, according to Deandra Grant Law. Which of those paths applies here depends on medical findings that have not yet been made public.

Texas law enforcement protocols require officers who discover a deceased person during an active assault response to preserve the crime scene and bring in specialized homicide units to gather forensic evidence before any suspect leads are developed, per guidance from L&L Law Group. Even once evidence is collected, answers may not come quickly. The Bexar County Medical Examiner's Office typically needs at least 12 weeks to complete autopsy and toxicology reports on open death investigations, according to a legal explainer published by Oscar Garza Law.

Compounding the wait for answers, Texas House Bill 4490, enacted in June 2025 to amend Article 49.25 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, now exempts next-of-kin information held by medical examiners from public disclosure requests. That change, reported by the San Antonio Express-News, helps explain why authorities have not released the man's name even as the investigation continues.

A Broader Decline in Violence, With Local Exceptions

The unresolved case comes even as San Antonio's overall homicide numbers have continued to fall. San Antonio homicides dropped 8% in the first half of 2026 compared with the same period in 2025, extending a multi-year decline that has pushed the city's homicide rate 12% below pre-pandemic levels, according to the San Antonio Report. The department investigated 105 homicides in 2025, down from 127 in 2024 and 165 in 2023, marking three straight years of decline, per KSAT's reporting on the trend.

Overall reported crime in the city fell more than 13% in 2025, with violent crimes against persons dropping 12.8% in the first quarter of that year alone, according to municipal crime statistics released by the City of San Antonio. Even with that downward trend, unexplained deaths along border zones like the one between San Antonio and Windcrest still require close coordination between SAPD homicide detectives, county medical examiners, and neighboring municipal authorities before a case can be resolved.

No further details have been released about the man found on Crestway Road, and police have not said when they expect to identify him or determine how he died. Anyone with information has not yet been given a tip line to call, and the investigation remains open as detectives continue piecing together what happened before officers arrived just after midnight.