
The Arizona Supreme Court has rejected a lawsuit challenging Secretary of State Adrian Fontes' official ballot description for Proposition 144, clearing the way for the sweeping election reform measure to appear before voters in November. The ruling upheld a trial judge's earlier dismissal of the case, finding that the three voters who sued lacked legal standing to challenge the language in the first place.
The lawsuit was filed by America First Legal, a group aligned with President Donald Trump, on behalf of three Arizona voters, according to KJZZ. The plaintiffs argued they faced real harm because they supported Prop. 144 and planned to campaign for it, but Chief Justice Ann Scott Timmer wrote for the majority that their shared characteristics did not amount to a distinct and palpable injury. Even setting standing aside, the court majority said it would have dismissed the case anyway, concluding that Fontes' ballot description was not false or clearly misleading.
Arizona law gives Fontes authority to write the 50-word ballot descriptions used to explain measures to voters, provided the language receives sign-off from the Attorney General's Office. Under Arizona Revised Statutes § 19-125(D), that office must formally review and approve Secretary of State ballot descriptions before they reach the public, and the Arizona Judicial Branch filing shows Attorney General Kris Mayes' office signed off on Fontes' updated language on July 22.
Two Justices Break From the Majority
Not every justice agreed. Justices William Montgomery and Kathryn King argued the plaintiffs did have standing to sue, and both dissented from the majority's standing conclusion. Montgomery and King separately contended that the ballot description's title was misleading because it left out the words citizen and citizenship, and the underlying lawsuit had argued the summary omitted proposed language stating that non-citizens cannot vote in Arizona elections.
Fontes' office countered that the omission was reasonable because non-citizens are already prohibited from voting in Arizona elections under existing law, making the point unnecessary to restate in a summary capped at 50 words. That tension — between critics who say the summary understated the measure's reach and Fontes' team, which says it was condensing already-settled law — sat at the center of the dispute, as KJZZ reported. Calli Jones, representing the challengers, had said the Secretary of State's office must explain how ballot referrals may change existing law.
Before reaching the state's high court, the case had already been rejected once. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Adele Ponce ruled on August 13 that Fontes acted within his legal authority and that his summary was neither false nor clearly misleading, a decision America First Legal immediately appealed, as reported by the Arizona Daily Star.
A Second Win for Prop. 144 in the Same Week
The ballot-language ruling came just one day after the same court turned back a separate constitutional challenge to Prop. 144 itself. A Tempe City Council member had argued the measure violated the state's single-subject rule by bundling voter ID requirements with early ballot tabulation rules into one referendum, but the justices ruled on August 18 that Prop. 144 could remain on the ballot, according to the Arizona Capitol Times. Back-to-back rulings in the same week reflect a statutory deadline: the court had to resolve all ballot measure challenges by August 20 so officials could begin printing publicity pamphlets and general election ballots, per Save Our Schools Arizona.
Proposition 144 originated in the Republican-controlled Arizona Legislature as House Concurrent Resolution 2001, sponsored by Rep. Alexander Kolodin, a route that lets lawmakers send proposed constitutional changes directly to voters without a governor's signature. Beyond requiring all Arizona voters, including those who vote by mail, to show identification, the measure would ban foreign national contributions or expenditures in Arizona elections, require early mail-in ballots dropped off on Election Day to be tabulated on site after voters show ID, and establish that state election laws are presumed valid if rationally connected to a legitimate state interest.
The Fight Over Foreign Money Language
America First Legal's court filings also argued Fontes' summary misled voters on the foreign spending provision, saying it inaccurately described the ban as similar to existing federal law, when federal law restricts contributions to candidates but does not broadly bar foreign spending on state ballot measures. Fontes' office defended the comparison as a reasonable way to condense complex legal concepts within the strict 50-word limit.
The proposed change to ballot drop-off procedures carries real stakes for how quickly Arizona counts votes. In the 2024 general election, roughly 265,000 Arizona voters dropped off early mail-in ballots at polling places on Election Day, including more than 210,000 in Maricopa County alone. Those late-dropped ballots currently require post-election signature verification that can delay statewide results for days, a bottleneck Prop. 144 supporters say on-site ID checks would ease.
A Familiar Fight in Arizona Politics
Arizona voters have been here before. They narrowly rejected a similar voter ID overhaul in November 2022, when Proposition 309 failed with 50.38% voting no; that measure would have required voter ID numbers and dates of birth on mail-in ballot envelopes and eliminated non-photo ID options for in-person voting. The state's voter ID debate stretches back further still, to November 2004, when voters approved Proposition 200 with 56% support, establishing Arizona's first photo identification and citizenship proof requirements for voter registration and eventually leading to the U.S. Supreme Court's 2006 Purcell v. Gonzalez decision.
With the Arizona Supreme Court's rulings this week, Proposition 144 has cleared its final legal hurdles ahead of printing deadlines, and Arizona voters will now decide its fate on the November 2026 ballot.









