Orlando/ Crime & Emergencies

Fort Pierce Ambush Suspect Charged in Death of Man, 28, After Nightclub Rejection

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 22, 2026
Fort Pierce Ambush Suspect Charged in Death of Man, 28, After Nightclub RejectionSource: Fort Pierce Police Department

A Fort Pierce man already sitting in jail on a probation violation has now been charged with murder in a Fourth of July weekend shooting that police say began with a rejected advance at a nightclub and ended with an ambush outside a victim's home. Fort Pierce police identified the suspect as 28-year-old Cornelius Trevon Ivory, accused of shooting and killing 28-year-old Lawrence Harris Jr. of Fort Pierce on South 14th Street.

Fort Pierce police Maj. Michael Santiago said Friday that Ivory was formally charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, and possession of a firearm by a felon in connection with the July 5 shooting, according to WPEC. Harris was shot multiple times and taken to a hospital, where he was placed on a ventilator before dying two days later on July 7, 2026, as reported by TCPalm. A woman who was with Harris at the time of the shooting suffered a gunshot wound to the hand and survived.

A Nightclub Confrontation Turns Violent

Police said the shooting allegedly stemmed from an incident at a local nightclub, where Ivory made inappropriate advances toward the 28-year-old woman, who was accompanied by Harris and rejected him. That confrontation escalated into a verbal altercation at a Waffle House on Okeechobee Road, and police allege Ivory then tracked down where the pair lived and waited in the area to ambush them when they arrived home. The report notes Ivory and Harris had grown up in the same neighborhood and known each other since childhood.

Officers were sent to the 300 block of South 14th Street after the department's ShotSpotter acoustic gunfire-detection technology picked up gunfire at 3:43 a.m. on July 5, according to CBS12. That system alerts dispatchers before 911 calls are even completed, and officers arrived to find both victims suffering from gunshot wounds near the scene.

Six Weeks of Investigative Work

The path from crime scene to arrest warrant took roughly six weeks. Detectives built probable cause through cooperation from the surviving female victim, witness statements, database searches, and search warrants executed in Palm Bay, the same source's report notes. That investigative work led police to Ivory, who was already behind bars.

When officers served Ivory with the murder warrant on August 20, he was already being held at the St. Lucie County Jail on a probation violation tied to a prior charge of possessing a firearm as a convicted felon. Court records reviewed as part of the case show Ivory had served roughly six years in prison before his release in late 2025 or early 2026, and that he was previously charged as a 16-year-old in a 2014 Fort Pierce drive-by shooting, to which he pleaded no contest to aggravated assault.

Part of a Violent Holiday Weekend

The South 14th Street killing was one of two separate shootings Fort Pierce police investigated over the Fourth of July holiday weekend, with another shooting reported earlier that weekend on Avenue I. The cluster of violence adds to a broader pattern in the city: FBI Uniform Crime Reporting data show Fort Pierce, a city of roughly 46,600 residents, recorded 10 homicides and 259 violent crimes in a single reporting year.

Open questions remain in the case, including how Ivory allegedly located the victims' address after the Waffle House dispute and how he obtained a firearm while under active probation following his recent release from prison. Ivory now faces charges of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, and possession of a firearm by a felon, exposing him to the possibility of life imprisonment.