El Paso/ Crime & Emergencies

Las Cruces Shootout Near Luna Street Hospitalizes Man, Locks Down Middle School

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 22, 2026
Las Cruces Shootout Near Luna Street Hospitalizes Man, Locks Down Middle SchoolSource: Google Street View

A gunfight broke out in a residential Las Cruces neighborhood Friday afternoon, sending a 36-year-old man to the hospital and forcing officers to shut down the intersection of Luna Street and Idaho Avenue while they pieced together what happened. Police say two men fired shots at each other, and the exchange happened close enough to a middle school campus that administrators put the building into a precautionary shelter-in-place.

According to KDBC, officers responded to the shooting Friday afternoon and found the 36-year-old victim suffering from gunshot wounds before he was sent to the hospital, according to officials. The Las Cruces Police Department says officers arriving on scene discovered spent shell casings near the intersection around 2:50 p.m. before locating the wounded man, a detail that points to a rapid police response that helped officers contain the residential block and begin questioning several bystanders. Several people were questioned by police as the investigation got underway, and the roads were closed off while the scene was processed.

Police described the road closure as having minimal impact on through traffic, noting the area is primarily residential, and asked residents to avoid the block and use an alternate route. A viewer shared dashcam video with the station appearing to show the gunfight, footage that captured the moment shots rang out on the quiet street. The station's report was updated Friday evening as details continued to emerge.

Middle School Locked Down as Precaution

Lynn Community Middle School, located at 950 S. Walnut St., was placed on a temporary shelter-in-place while police investigated. The school serves students in grades six through eight and operates as a designated community school within Las Cruces Public Schools, according to the district. The shelter-in-place lifted once officers determined the immediate scene was secure, though the incident still rattled a neighborhood already on edge after a string of daylight shootings this month.

The Luna Street shooting comes just five days after a separate drive-by shooting on Aug. 16 near South Solano Drive and Missouri Avenue, which injured a 34-year-old man and his 11-year-old son, according to the City of Las Cruces. Police in that case arrested suspect Jesus Angel Cortez in El Paso following what they described as an unprovoked shooting and a subsequent home break-in. Both incidents unfolded in public corridors of central Las Cruces in broad daylight, within a matter of days of each other.

A City Touting Falling Crime Amid High-Profile Shootings

The violence lands awkwardly alongside a run of encouraging crime statistics from City Hall. Las Cruces law enforcement announced on Aug. 11 that the three-month, multi-agency Operation Not in Vain, an annual initiative established in memory of fallen LCPD Officer Jonah Hernandez, produced 46 arrests and a 21% reduction in NIBRS Group A crimes in targeted enforcement areas compared to summer 2025, per the City of Las Cruces. The department also reported a 13% overall reduction in crime citywide during the first half of 2026 compared to the same period last year.

Those mid-year numbers build on a broader trend: for all of 2025, Las Cruces police reported a 13% drop in total crime, including a 19% decrease in violent crime and a 12% decrease in property crime compared to 2024, department leaders told the public during a town hall, as reported by the Las Cruces Bulletin. Police attribute part of the decline to a data-driven stratified policing strategy that targets officer deployments to violent crime hot spots and commercial corridors such as South Solano Drive and El Paseo Road, combining proactive traffic operations with cross-departmental revitalization efforts, according to the city.

Neighborhood Has Seen Repeated Gun Violence

Central Las Cruces has absorbed several high-profile violent incidents in recent months even as the citywide numbers trend downward. On Aug. 8, federal and local law enforcement announced that a months-long joint gang investigation led by LCPD, known as Operation Summer Heat, had cleared 11 drive-by shootings and produced six federal indictments, according to earlier Hoodline reporting. That operation also resulted in 58 search warrants and the seizure of 19 firearms.

The neighborhood around Lynn Middle School carries its own difficult history with gun violence. Young Park, at 850 S. Walnut St. and less than two miles from the school, was the site of a March 2025 mass shooting that left three young men dead and 15 others injured; four co-defendants faced federal and state prosecutions that concluded trials in mid-2026, according to KTSM. Earlier this month, federal prosecutors also indicted a 40-year-old Las Cruces felon in connection with a May shooting at St. Genevieve's Catholic Church, which police linked to an attempted burglary at a nearby gun store.

It remains unclear whether the two men involved in Friday's Luna Street shooting will face state or federal charges, or whether ballistics evidence from the spent shell casings will tie the incident to the broader gang activity being investigated under Operation Summer Heat. The condition of the 36-year-old victim has also not been disclosed. Las Cruces police have not released further details on a motive or on the identities of those questioned at the scene.