Detroit/ Crime & Emergencies

Michigan Brotherhood's Once-Revered Ed Conlin Faces UK Sex Assault Charges

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 22, 2026
Michigan Brotherhood's Once-Revered Ed Conlin Faces UK Sex Assault ChargesSource: Wesley Tingey on Unsplash

A man once revered as “Saint Ed” inside a network of Christian communal homes stretching from Michigan to Belfast is now fighting seven counts of indecent assault against a female in a Northern Ireland courtroom. Ed Conlin, extradited from the United States after his arrest in South Bend, Indiana, has pleaded not guilty and, through his attorney, maintains his innocence.

U.S. Marshals arrested Conlin in South Bend in May 2026, and a U.S. magistrate judge in Indiana certified his extraditability to the United Kingdom the following month after Conlin signed an affidavit consenting to the transfer, according to federal court filings reviewed by PacerMonitor. He had petitioned a federal judge for release before the extradition proceeded. Conlin appeared in Craigavon Magistrates Court to face the charges, which stem from his work in the 1990s at Youth Initiatives NI in west Belfast, where an arrest warrant had been issued in August 2025, per court proceedings relayed by the Belfast Telegraph. As Michigan Public reports, Conlin told the outlet he has been caring for a disabled adult brother and has reported his own health issues. His next court date is set for August 28 in the United Kingdom.

A Belfast Warning Ignored for Decades

Conlin belonged to The Servants of the Word, a Michigan-based ecumenical Christian brotherhood that includes about 60 celibate men and houses communal homes across Michigan and around the globe. The brotherhood is one of more than 80 lay communities and affiliated single-sex brotherhoods that grew out of the charismatic renewal movement under its parent network, The Sword of the Spirit, founded in Ann Arbor in 1982, according to background compiled on Wikipedia.

The allegations against Conlin are not new to the brotherhood. In the late 1990s, two members of an at-risk youth group reported his grooming behavior and sexual abuse in Belfast, and the brotherhood says Northern Ireland police were notified at the time, though no charges were brought then. The Servants of the Word removed Conlin from youth work in Northern Ireland and, per Michigan Public's reporting, imposed self-imposed boundaries restricting him from youth programming going forward. Belfast authorities are described in the same reporting as having taken the allegations seriously.

How Conlin Kept Working With Young People in Detroit

Despite those restrictions, the brotherhood allowed Conlin to move to Detroit in 2005, where he spent roughly three years in discipline and recovery at the group's main home in a rural area west of Ann Arbor before relocating. Once in Detroit, Conlin worked as a substance abuse counselor and in food service at a hotel chain, and he became involved in youth activities run by nonprofits that the brotherhood says were unaware of his history. He was known, according to Michigan Public's reporting, for cultivating special relationships with women and girls.

Noelle Lynn, who met Conlin through missionary work in Detroit in 2005, said he took an interest in her and several other young women, individually taking them to games and on walks. She described Conlin as revered inside covenant Christian communities, where people referred to him as “Saint Ed,” and said her own relationship with him was not sexual, though she has said she could have become one of his victims. Camille Chippewa recalled telling young men living with Conlin in 2014 that she thought it was odd he had not invited one of them to a Detroit Red Wings preseason game, and said a photograph from that period should never have been allowed to happen. Separately, a woman from Ypsilanti has alleged Conlin raped her when she was a teenager, an allegation that surfaced in 2023. Lynn and other survivors and former community members have said they worked for years to expose abuse and what they describe as enabling systems within covenant communities.

Internal Admissions and a Wave of Lawsuits

In a February 2020 internal letter to members, then-presiding elder David Quintana admitted that brotherhood leadership had failed to clearly communicate Conlin's past allegations and safety-plan restrictions when he was allowed to move to Detroit in 2005, according to reporting from Michigan Public. The brotherhood has since acknowledged it failed to fully communicate Conlin's boundaries in Detroit and failed to maintain separation from young people through proper oversight.

That admission came amid a broader reckoning. In June 2023, multiple sexual assault survivors filed civil lawsuits in Michigan against both The Servants of the Word and The Sword of the Spirit, alleging decades of institutional cover-ups, the same outlet's reporting shows. Most of those lawsuits were later settled, though the settlement terms were not disclosed. A separate West Michigan family also sued the two organizations that year, alleging a group leader sexually abused their 5-year-old daughter during a home visit in Kent County, according to WZZM 13. Conlin is not the only former brotherhood leader to face criminal proceedings: James “Jamie” Treadwell entered a no-contest plea in Michigan state court in April 2022 to attempted second-degree criminal sexual conduct, receiving 18 months of probation and mandatory sex offender registration, per the brotherhood's own public case database.

The Servants of the Word formally terminated Conlin's commitment to the brotherhood in May 2023, following internal investigations and a review of allegations raised earlier that year, the organization's public database states. In November 2025, the brotherhood published an updated safeguarding commitment developed with abuse-prevention consultancy Praesidium, outlining reforms that include psychological evaluations for applicants and external review boards. The Archdiocese of Detroit, for its part, notes that independent ecumenical lay brotherhoods like The Servants of the Word operate outside Catholic archdiocesan oversight, meaning the group has managed its own internal discipline throughout the case.

Questions remain about how much brotherhood leadership knew when Conlin relocated to Detroit in 2005, how the undisclosed civil settlements might factor into ongoing accountability, and whether the brotherhood's newly adopted safeguarding reforms will satisfy survivors and former community members still pressing for transparency.