Firefighters are currently battling a blaze on St. James Place, a cul-de-sac in Piedmont.
On Twitter, the Oakland Fire Department reported "heavy fire" at the single-family residence and noted that Piedmont firefighters are on the scene.
St James Pl- Single Family residence with heavy fire showing. Possible exposure building on “D” Side. Piedmont Fire on scene. #Oakland #piedmont— Oakland Firefighters (@OaklandFireLive) August 7, 2018
We'll update this story if and when more information comes available.
[Update, 11:57 a.m.] The East Bay Times reports that residents of the home were able to evacuate on their own, and no injuries have been reported. Additionally, the fire began in the garage, then spread through the house.
[Update, 4:13 p.m.] The Mercury News reports that two people did sustain injuries in the fire this morning on the 100 block of St. James Place. One resident suffered minor burns and one firefighter was hospitalized with a shoulder injury. Three other residents, who were able to get out of the building on their own, were unharmed.
Piedmont Fire Chief Warren (Bud) McLaren told the outlet that the fire caused an estimated $275,000- $350,000 worth of damage, including destroying the garage and extensively damaging the exterior.