Boston/ Crime & Emergencies
AI Assisted Icon
Published on February 23, 2024
8-Year-Old Critically Injured, 4 Hospitalized After Ambulance Collides with SUV in Foxborough, MassachusettsSource: Unsplash/ Mathurin NAPOLY / matnapo

A violent collision in Foxborough, Massachusetts, resulted in critical injuries for an 8-year-old girl and forced four others, including two EMTs and a patient, to be hospitalized Thursday night. The two-vehicle crash, involving a Brewster Ambulance and a Honda Pilot SUV, occurred just before the evening's 7 o'clock hour on a stretch of road known both as Route 140 and Main Street, sending emergency personnel scrambling to the chaotic scene.

Authorities from the Norfolk District Attorney's Office informed CBS News Boston that the ambulance was transporting a 77-year-old patient when it collided head-on with the SUV. The force of the impact was great enough to critically harm an 8-year-old girl seated in the back of the Pilot, who subsequently had to be airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital to receive desperately needed medical attention.

The mother of the girl, a 40-year-old woman driving the SUV, and the two Emergency Medical Technicians, both reportedly in their mid-20s and occupants of the ambulance, were also transported to local hospitals. Details on their conditions were not readily available following the crash. The elderly patient from the ambulance was not ejected during the incident and was taken to Rhode Island Hospital for evaluation, as reports from the district attorney's office conveyed to CBS News Boston.

Witnesses recall the aftermath of the incident, with Taylor Spencer, a resident living near the crash site, admitting to NBC Boston, "I was crying. It was awful, I was shaking just thinking about it. It was bad," Another neighbor, Shauna Haggerty, told NBC Boston, "I just heard a huge smash, and I said, 'What is that?' So, I flew out and I saw the accident and I said, 'Oh, my God.'"

The cause of this crash remains to be distinctly determined, with an investigation currently underway. The district attorney's office indicated that their motor vehicle homicide unit made an immediate response to the accident site, working in conjunction with state and local police forces to unravel the events leading up to the tragedy.