Memphis/ Weather & Environment
AI Assisted Icon
Published on April 15, 2024
Memphis Braces for Week of Unpredictable Weather, Thunderstorm Chances SurgeSource: photophone02, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Memphis is gearing up for a dynamic weather week ahead, as reported by the National Weather Service. Today's mostly sunny skies pave the way for a high around 81 degrees, accompanied by a gentle south southwest wind around 10 mph. However, tonight's forecast indicates an uptick in cloud coverage and a low settling at about 67 degrees, with continued southern winds.

Tuesday promises a shake-up with a 30 percent chance of afternoon showers—possibly gambling into thunderstorms—skipping in with partly sunny conditions and a high near 80 degrees. The real tumult kicks off Tuesday night with a solid 70 percent chance of showers and possibly a thunderstorm before the clock strikes one, only to invite a chance of more storms after. With breezes blowing south southwest around 20 mph and gusts stretching up to 30 mph, the potential for higher rainfall amounts during thunderstorms takes residence in the forecast.

According to NWS, Memphis, Wednesday will be dicing with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the early morning; after 1 pm, the chance of showers and storms resumes. The day charges ahead with partly sunny skies and a high near 83 degrees, as the southwest wind submits gusts as high as 25 mph. Wednesday night eases up slightly with a 20 percent chance of precipitation before calming down into the night.

Peeking into Thursday through the weekend, Memphis doesn't escape the weather's whimsy. Forecasts show a 20 percent chance of showers, with pockets of sunshine pushing the high to a near 84 degrees. Come nightfall, the clouds return to host a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, whilst Memphis slumbers at a warm 64 degrees. As the week unfolds, probabilities for showers and thunderstorms remain a steady companion for the city, climaxing on Saturday with a 50 percent chance during the day and tapering off slightly to a 40 percent chance by night.

Sunday will see Memphis partially wrapped in sunshine with a cool down to a 62-degree high and an appetizer of a 20 percent chance of showers. The week's weather serves up a roller coaster of conditions for Memphis, matching the mild warmth with sudden storms, and reminding residents to keep an umbrella close as springtime asserts its unpredictable nature.