Bay Area/ San Jose/ Crime & Emergencies
AI Assisted Icon
Published on April 23, 2024
Palo Alto Police Investigate Unconfirmed Threat at Gunn High School, Ensuring Student SafetySource: Ovinus Real, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

UPDATE: "All students and staff are safe at this time.  As we get accurate information to share, we will post it here. A news release will follow at the end of the incident." - Palo Alto Police

Police swarmed Gunn High School in Palo Alto on Monday following reports of an unconfirmed threat, putting the school into immediate lockdown. According to an X post by the Palo Alto Police, officers arrived at the school located at 780 Arastradero Road to ensure the safety of students and staff.

Authorities advised that all individuals on campus were safe as they began their investigation into the nature of the threat. "Officers are on scene at Gunn High School...investigating an unconfirmed threat towards the school," read the statement from the police department. School officials enacted a “shelter-in-place” while police worked on the scene. Nearby Fletcher Middle School was also placed under a shelter-in-place order as a precaution due to its proximity to Gunn.

Residents and parents received reassurance from the police department's communications. "All students and staff are safe at this time," Palo Alto Police affirmed. They promised to deliver accurate updates and a comprehensive news release after the incident. Cooperation between law enforcement and school officials was emphasized as key to maintaining the security of everyone involved.

As the community waited anxiously for any updates, the police department reported progress via social media. "We have uncovered *no* evidence to corroborate that any actual threat exists; however, we are continuing the shelter-in-place while we investigate," the police declared via their X page. The investigation continued into the evening as officials ensured no stone was unturned.

Palo Alto Police expressed gratitude for the community's patience and underscored their commitment to safety, urging the public to wait for confirmed information before concluding.