Houston/ Crime & Emergencies
AI Assisted Icon
Published on May 28, 2024
Two Dead, Two Critically Injured After Police Chase Ends in Crash in Southeast HoustonSource: Google Street View

Early Tuesday morning, a police chase in southeast Houston ended in tragedy when the suspect car crashed, resulting in two fatalities and leaving two others critically injured. The incident occurred just after 2:30 a.m. on Long Drive near Lancaster Street, east of Telephone Road, according to authorities. Houston Police Department reports that the pursuit began after the vehicle failed to stop for a red light and narrowly missed another car. The failure to yield led to police giving chase.

During the pursuit, the car hit something in the roadway, causing it to roll over. Officers at the scene were unsure of the vehicle's speed but confirmed it was undoubtedly traveling above the speed limit. As a result of the crash, four males were found in the car—two died, one at the scene and another later in the hospital. The two remaining individuals are currently fighting for their lives in critical condition, KHOU reported.

The ages of the individuals involved have not been confirmed, but police said they appeared to be quite young. Investigators discovered suspicious items within the wreckage—a bag containing a BB gun and two screwdrivers—which led them to believe that the individuals were possibly engaging in criminal activities. Charges are pending for the driver, who, if survives, could face felony evading, according to the Houston Police Department.

Assistant Chief A. Rodriguez was among the HPD officials and Public Information Officers who arrived at the scene, which remained active for hours after the incident. Additional details are expected to be released after a thorough investigation. The Houston Police tweeted about en route officials to the crash site at 7300 Long Drive, indicating the severity of the scene that unfolded in the dead of night. More information can be expected to follow as they continue to piece together the circumstances surrounding this deadly chase, as mentioned in the HPD's social media update.