Houston/ Crime & Emergencies
AI Assisted Icon
Published on June 11, 2024
Houston Man Sentenced to Over 13 Years for Armed Robbery Spree Involving Waffle HouseSource: Google Street View

A Houston man has been sentenced to over 13 years in federal prison following an armed robbery of a Waffle House, as reported by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Texas. Deonta Rashawn Brown, age 32, was convicted of Hobbs Act robbery and additional firearms charges. Brown had admitted guilt on March 7, and now U.S. District Judge George C. Hanks has mandated a sentence that also includes a three-year supervised release period, with the obligation to pay restitution to the victims of his offense. "The court noted the traumatic impact Brown's crime had on his victims," according to the statement.

Brown's robbery spree, which appeared to carefully target locations for either their seclusion or proximity to the highway to quickly make their escape, were committed with accomplice Fabian Bradley, who displayed a firearm during these unlawful acts. Together, they managed to efficiently, though recklessly, conduct three robberies within an hour on the night of October 24, 2019. They stole from both Waffle House employees and customers alike, taking items ranging from a mobile phone to cash.

Bradley, the younger of the pair at 22, has also faced the wheels of justice, previously receiving a sentence of 168 months in federal prison. After his imprisonment term, he will be subjected to five years of supervised release, the U.S. Attorney's Office confirmed. The back-to-back sentencing of the duo has brought a close to the case involving the two robberies of Waffle Houses and an additional gas station convenience store theft.

The investigation was led by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives with assistance from the Humble and Houston police departments. Assistant U.S. Attorneys John Ganz and Joseph Porto were the prosecuting forces behind bringing the perpetrators to justice. As for Brown, he will remain in custody pending his transfer to a yet to be determined U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility, closing yet another chapter in Houston's ongoing battle against violent crime.