Houston/ Crime & Emergencies

Verdict Is In: Santa Fe Shooter's Parents Cleared of Negligence, Ammo Seller Lucky Gunner Held Liable

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 20, 2024
Verdict Is In: Santa Fe Shooter's Parents Cleared of Negligence, Ammo Seller Lucky Gunner Held LiableSource: Wikipedia/user:P199, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Almost six years after a horrific school shooting at Santa Fe High School in 2018, a jury in Galveston County has delivered a verdict that absolves the parents of the accused shooter, Antonios Pagourtzis and Rose Marie Kosmetatos, from allegations of negligence. According to information obtained from the Houston Chronicle, they were accused by the plaintiffs of not securely storing firearms and failing to recognize their son's declining mental health.

The jurors, however, did not to completely absolve all accused parties. They found the shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, now 23, and online ammunition retailer Lucky Gunner liable for their respective roles in the tragedy. Lucky Gunner had reportedly sold the shooter over 100 rounds of ammunition without verifying his age according to a report by the USA TODAY.

While the parents have been cleared of responsibility by this recent jury ruling, which Lori Laird, defense attorney, suggested should help begin the healing process, the victims' families did not reach the outcome they sought. "We didn't get the ultimate outcome we wanted, but we made progress," told Clint McGuire to the Houston Chronicle, who represents the plaintiffs. The issue of firearm safety and the accountability of individuals with access to deadly weapons remains a charged and pivotal topic.

The civil case is historically noteworthy due to its context within a nation grappling with recurrent gun violence. This case aligns with a growing trend where adults are more often being held accountable for overlooking clear indicators of potential violence. Jake Felde, CEO of Lucky Gunner, said that even though his company "isn't responsible for paying any monetary damages awarded by the jury" as reported by USA TODAY, they had already come to a settlement prior to the trial.

Meanwhile, there is a lingering question about how the plaintiffs will collect the millions owed by shooter Dimitrios Pagourtzis, who remains in a state mental health facility and has been repeatedly found mentally unfit to stand trial.