
A 5-year-old Austin boy named Liam Tadeo was on his way to a soccer game with his father last Monday when federal immigration agents pulled them over and took them into custody. Instead of starting kindergarten this week, the boy has been held at a family detention facility more than three hours south of his hometown.
Liam and his father were detained following an August 17 traffic stop in Austin and were later sent to the South Texas Family Residential Center in Dilley, according to Newsweek, which relayed statements from family members and reporting by Univision. The boy's family has since started a GoFundMe page to help cover costs связанные with the detention, the outlet reported. U.S. Rep. Greg Casar first drew public attention to the case, identifying the child as Liam and posting about the detention on social media last Thursday, according to KEYE.
Casar said children should be playing soccer and living their lives rather than being arrested on the streets, and he called for the boy's immediate release along with the release of all detained children, the station's report noted. He also called for the immediate closure of what he described as the Dilley trailer prison. KEYE reported that it had reached out to both Casar's office and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for additional information and confirmation, and that circumstances leading up to the encounter, along with whether any other family members were detained, remained unknown at the time of publication.
A Phone Call From Behind Detention Walls
The human toll of the detention came through in an interview broadcast on N+ Univision and relayed by Newsweek. Liam's mother said her son called her directly from the Dilley facility just to say he missed her. His aunt confirmed he had been scheduled to start kindergarten this week, a milestone he is instead missing from inside a facility built to hold women and children. DHS and ICE did not immediately confirm details of the detention, per Newsweek's report.
Liam is not the first 5-year-old named Liam to be held at Dilley this year. In January, another 5-year-old boy, Liam Conejo Ramos, was detained alongside his father by ICE in Minnesota and transferred to the same facility, according to The Texas Tribune. That case prompted congressional oversight visits, including from Casar, and sparked public protests outside the detention center before a judge ordered the pair's release in February.
A Facility Under Renewed Legal Scrutiny
The South Texas Family Residential Center is operated by private prison contractor CoreCivic under a five-year, $160 million annual federal contract awarded in 2025, providing 2,400 beds designed to hold women and children, according to the National Immigration Forum. The site had previously been shuttered in 2024 before reopening under a federal detention expansion the following year.
Just two days before Liam's family says he was detained, U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee appointed independent court monitors to oversee child detention conditions at the Dilley facility, rejecting federal efforts to terminate the 1997 Flores Settlement Agreement, which caps family detention for accompanied minors at 20 days. The Los Angeles Times reported that the ruling cited ongoing concerns over delayed medical care and holding conditions at the facility.
Austin Enforcement Activity Has Spiked, Casar Says
Liam's detention comes amid what Casar and local community leaders describe as a sharp escalation in ICE activity across Austin. Days before the traffic stop, Casar and others held a briefing in North Austin's Rundberg neighborhood warning that local ICE arrests had climbed three to four times above normal levels, according to FOX 7 Austin. That briefing cited an incident in which federal agents handcuffed people outside a church food distribution event, and Casar has since submitted a formal inquiry to the Department of Homeland Security about the enforcement surge.
Local police cooperation with ICE has itself become a flashpoint. In May, the Austin City Council revised police general orders so that officers should, when operationally feasible, contact ICE rather than being required to, after Texas Governor Greg Abbott threatened to pull state grants under Texas Senate Bill 4. Under that law, local officials and police departments can face Class A misdemeanor charges, removal from office, and civil fines of up to $25,500 per day if they restrict officers from inquiring about immigration status or honoring federal detainer requests, per the Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops.
Statewide data adds context to the pattern playing out in Austin. Federal immigration data analyzed by the Deportation Data Project showed that 48.1 percent of ICE arrests in Texas through mid-March involved individuals with no criminal convictions or pending charges, up from 38.7 percent in 2025, though DHS maintains some of those non-criminal classifications include people with out-of-country records.
Liam's case follows other recent Austin-area detentions that have drawn scrutiny, including a San Antonio father and 9-year-old held a month at Dilley after a traffic stop, and an 18-year-old Austin ISD senior who was detained following a Texas Department of Public Safety stop before a federal judge granted a habeas corpus petition ordering his release just before graduation. It remains an open question whether federal courts will intervene in Liam's case as they did for other children held at Dilley earlier this year.









