
Baker Mayfield says he has patched things up with his family after a bitter, years-long legal fight over roughly $12 million his father's private equity firm allegedly misappropriated. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback said he and his family have made good progress and began reconnecting in the past few months, even as a federal breach-of-contract lawsuit tied to the dispute continues to play out in court.
The rift centers on Camwood Capital Management Group, the Austin-based firm co-founded in 2014 by Mayfield's father, James Mayfield, who serves as the company's senior managing director and founder, alongside Mayfield's brother, Matt Mayfield, a managing director at the firm, according to Essentially Sports. Mayfield and his wife, Emily, filed a court petition in 2023 to investigate the use of their funds, and per court filings cited by the New York Post, more than $12 million had been transferred from the couple's personal accounts through various entities and investments dating back to 2018.
That 2023 filing was a Texas Rule 202 petition lodged in Travis County District Court, seeking pre-suit depositions and financial records spanning 2018 through 2023 from six Camwood-related entities, according to MySA. Court documents alleged the funds were funneled into Camwood entities between 2018 and 2021 to cover operating expenses like payroll and to acquire Austin-area middle-market manufacturing companies, without granting Mayfield any equity in return, per FOX 7 Austin. Mayfield said at the time that the petition had been a long time coming, noting he had been dealing with the family-firm dispute for years.
A Settlement That Fell Apart
The parties reportedly reached a confidential settlement in January 2024 worth $11.741 million plus interest, an amount the New York Post reported was tied to allegations that petitioners could not account for the location or status of the funds. As part of that deal, Camwood reportedly agreed to refinance a loan to help Mayfield receive the settlement money and to provide him access to the company's financial records.
But the arrangement quickly unraveled. According to Camwood's lawsuit, the defendants have not refinanced their existing loan, have not provided plaintiffs access to their books and records, and have not repaid any amount under the settlement agreement. The breakdown centered on a missed payment: the settlement required an initial $250,000 installment due September 30, 2024, which Camwood failed to pay, according to a report from the law firm KJK.
That default pushed the dispute into federal court. On November 22, 2024, Mayfield, Emily Mayfield, and their corporate entity, Team BRM, LLC, sued Camwood Capital Management Group and four industrial subsidiaries — Texas Contract Manufacturing Group, Unitech Tool & Machine, Apex Machining, and Lor-Van Manufacturing — in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, per court records referenced by KJK. The plaintiffs filed the suit for breach of the settlement agreement, alleging the $12.2 million in misappropriated funds dating back to 2018 had still not been returned.
Family Reconciliation Amid Ongoing Litigation
Despite the unresolved litigation, Mayfield has struck a notably different tone about his family in recent months. He said he wanted to forgive and communicate that the family had made progress reconnecting, and he and Emily took their daughter, Kova, to meet her grandparents around her first birthday. The couple also welcomed a second child, son Maverick, in April, and Mayfield has said he now has two grandbabies in his family.
Mayfield has said he reconnected with his family and that the two sides have made good progress in recent months, even as the federal case tied to the alleged missing millions remains active. The personal reconciliation and the formal legal record represent two separate tracks — one emotional, one still working through the courts.
Mayfield's Career Has Stayed on Solid Ground
Off the field, Mayfield's football career has provided financial stability throughout the family dispute. He secured a three-year, $100 million contract extension with the Buccaneers in March 2024 that included $50 million guaranteed, a $33.3 million average annual value, and up to $15 million in incentive bonuses, according to WBNS. In July 2025, Tampa Bay restructured that deal to fully guarantee his $30 million salary for 2026, pushing his total guaranteed money to $80 million, per Heavy Sports. His career NFL earnings have topped $100 million across eight seasons with the Cleveland Browns, Carolina Panthers, Los Angeles Rams, and Buccaneers, per Bolavip.
Mayfield, the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, has said he found a home with the Buccaneers, leading the team to the playoffs in each of his first two seasons in Tampa. He battled injuries last season as the team finished 8-9 and missed the postseason.
A Broader Pattern in Pro Sports
Mayfield's situation echoes a well-documented risk facing high-earning athletes who entrust family members or private entities with their money. An Ernst & Young report on sports fraud found that professional athletes lost an estimated $334 million to fraud and financial exploitation between 2013 and 2017 alone, with total documented losses exceeding $490 million over a 15-year span, according to research cited on Medium. Regulators including FINRA and NFL Player Engagement now urge athletes to run background checks through FINRA BrokerCheck and SEC registries before handing over capital to relatives or advisors, according to the FINRA Investor Education Foundation.
For now, Mayfield's public stance is one of forgiveness even as the legal machinery grinds on. Hoodline has previously covered Mayfield's Bucs contract saga, and the quarterback's off-field family dispute now sits alongside that story as another chapter in a turbulent few years both on and off the field.









