
Las Vegas lowered speed limits along Centennial Parkway earlier this year, but drivers near Centennial High School are still treating the corridor like a raceway, according to residents who say little has changed on the ground. Longtime resident David Longa says he has repeatedly watched cars ignore both the new speed limit and the school zone, and neighbor Bea Sayre says a driver recently passed her while ignoring flashing school-zone lights meant to protect children.
The Las Vegas City Council voted unanimously to reduce speed limits along Centennial Parkway, part of a broader $52,000 traffic safety package approved in June, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. The corridor, which had a posted speed limit of 45 mph, now carries a patchwork of lower limits: 30 mph between Shaumber Road and Hualapai Way, 40 mph between Hualapai Way and Durango Drive, and 35 mph between Durango Drive and Grand Montecito Parkway, per FOX5 Las Vegas. Some sections of the parkway now carry a 35 mph limit overall, while the active school zone near Centennial High School remains posted at just 15 mph.
A 50 mph Problem in a 15 mph Zone
Despite the new signage, a FOX5 news team tracked several drivers near Centennial High School traveling as fast as 50 mph on Tuesday, well above even the corridor's prior 45 mph limit and more than triple the posted school-zone speed. Sayre said drivers were still moving as fast as they had in the spring, before the changes took effect, and added that people may simply be unaware the speed limit changed at all. Sayre, who lives on the other side of Centennial Parkway, also said drivers following too closely remain a persistent danger on the road.
Longa, who has lived in the area for years, said he was relieved but skeptical when he learned about the speed-limit reduction. He said he would wait to see whether the changes actually improved conditions before drawing conclusions. The city itself has described the speed-limit change as only the first regulation being implemented, a point raised during an April meeting, according to the same FOX5 report.
Why the Corridor Became a Speed Trap Risk
Centennial Parkway effectively became a high-speed corridor after the overpass connecting to the 215 Beltway was completed, feeding freeway-level traffic directly onto the arterial street. The Nevada Department of Transportation says the $272 million Centennial Bowl interchange project, substantially completed in December 2023, created seamless connections between U.S. 95 and the 215 Beltway that significantly increased traffic flow into neighboring streets like Centennial Parkway. That surge in volume and speed set the stage for the safety concerns now playing out block by block.
City data backs up residents' frustration. The Department of Public Works found that the 85th percentile speed on the corridor was approximately 9 mph above the previous posted limit of 45 mph, meaning most drivers were already exceeding the old limit before it was ever lowered. City of Las Vegas senior engineering associate Lia Grimaldi explained that drivers on West Centennial Parkway near Centennial High School previously had to decelerate abruptly from 45 mph to 15 mph in school zones, a dangerous speed gap that helped drive the decision to cut posted limits, the Review-Journal reported.
More Construction and Traffic-Calming on the Way
The city has also begun physical upgrades to the corridor. A 60-day construction project at the intersection of Shaumber Road and Centennial Parkway is underway to upgrade traffic signals, pedestrian crossings, lighting and medians, Ward 4 Councilwoman Francis Allen-Palenske announced in a Facebook post. Las Vegas also plans to add wider sidewalks and install speed bumps and other traffic-calming measures along the corridor, moves that suggest city officials recognize signage alone may not be enough to change driver behavior.
Nevada law already carries steep penalties for ignoring school-zone limits. Under NRS 484B.363, drivers caught speeding in an active school zone face double fines, typically $410 compared to standard $205 citations, along with misdemeanor charges and mandatory reckless driving charges if a collision injures a pedestrian or cyclist, according to the Las Vegas Defense Group. Separately, Nevada Assembly Bill 527 took effect in 2025, letting school districts install automated camera systems on buses to fine drivers who illegally pass stopped buses with flashing red lights, per Zero Fatalities Nevada.
Part of a Larger Vision Zero Push
The Centennial Parkway changes fit into a broader citywide safety strategy. The City of Las Vegas updated its Vision Zero Action Plan for 2026 through 2028 in February, recommitting to eliminating all traffic fatalities and serious injuries by 2050 after city data recorded 251 traffic deaths and 750 severe injuries between 2018 and 2022. Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department traffic data through August ranked excessive speed, failure to yield the right of way, and pedestrian error as the leading contributing factors in deadly local crashes, according to a Metro Police Facebook post.
The stakes were on stark display just a few miles away in July, when a high-speed single-vehicle rollover crash on nearby Oso Blanca Road killed a driver, marking the 58th traffic death in Metro's jurisdiction that year. For now, residents like Longa and Sayre say they will keep watching the parkway to see whether lower numbers on the signs eventually translate into slower cars on the road.









