
A man wanted on a felony strangulation warrant out of Willoughby barricaded himself inside a third-floor attic of a Cleveland home Thursday, triggering an hours-long standoff with federal and local officers before he was pulled out and arrested. Trysten Gruss allegedly strangled a woman during an assault in Willoughby, and he tried jumping from upstairs windows multiple times as task force members closed in.
The U.S. Marshals-led Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force tracked Gruss to a home in the 2000 block of West 91st Street in Cleveland, according to FOX 8 News. Task force members negotiated and searched for several hours before finding Gruss hiding in the attic and pulling him out. His arrest warrant had been issued Thursday, Aug. 20.
U.S. Marshal Pete Elliott said fugitives who flee or barricade themselves put officer safety and public safety at risk. “The arrest ended safely,” Elliott said, according to the same report, adding that violent fugitives barricading during arrest attempts is a recurring issue the task force regularly encounters.
A Second Brush With Law Enforcement Since 2023
Thursday's standoff was not Gruss's first attempt to evade officers. In October 2023, Lake County Sheriff's Deputies tried to pull him over in Painesville Township, where he fled on foot from his vehicle while driving under a suspended license and in violation of an active protection order barring contact with a female passenger, according to the Lake County Sheriff's Office. Gruss was 25 at the time of that foot pursuit. That history helps explain why federal marshals moved quickly once he went on the run again nearly three years later.
The strangulation charge Gruss faces stems from Ohio's relatively recent statutory overhaul. Ohio classified strangulation as a standalone felony under Ohio Revised Code § 2903.18 starting April 4, 2023, after lawmakers passed Senate Bill 288, making Ohio the last state in the nation to elevate non-fatal strangulation from a misdemeanor to a felony carrying penalties up to a second-degree felony, per LHA Law. Before that reform, non-fatal strangulation in Ohio was typically prosecuted under misdemeanor domestic violence or general assault statutes.
His case originated in Willoughby Municipal Court, which issued the arrest warrant. The court handles misdemeanor cases across 10 communities in western Lake County and conducts preliminary hearings to establish probable cause on felony charges before transferring cases to the Lake County Court of Common Pleas.
Part Of A Wider Regional Crackdown
The Cleveland arrest came just three days after the U.S. Attorney's Office and U.S. Marshals Service announced that a summer-long initiative called Operation Northern Shield had produced more than 600 arrests and nearly 200 firearm seizures across Northern Ohio, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. That operation involved task force teams working across eight Northern Ohio cities, including Cleveland and Painesville.
The Cleveland Division of the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force operates as an interagency unit pairing the U.S. Marshals Service with local agencies, including the Cleveland Division of Police and the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office. Since its founding in 2003, the task force has cleared nearly 60,000 arrest warrants across the region, Hoodline previously reported in a look at another Cleveland fugitive case.
The West 91st Street standoff also lands amid a documented rise in violence in the city. Aggravated assaults in Cleveland climbed more than 20% during the first quarter of 2026 compared to the same period a year earlier, building on a 2024 FBI baseline of 3,631 aggravated assaults citywide, per that same Hoodline report.
Statewide Push On Strangulation Cases
Ohio courts and lawmakers have been paying closer attention to strangulation cases in recent months. In January, the Supreme Court of Ohio published specialized bench guides for trial judges, including one titled “Non-Fatal Strangulation/Suffocation: What Every Judge Should Know,” aimed at helping judges evaluate the severe lethality risks and evidence standards in these cases, according to Court News Ohio. The guides were released as part of National Stalking Awareness Month.
Separately, Ohio Senate Bill 357, introduced in March, would expand the state's Violent Offender Database, known as Sierah's Law, to require 10-year post-release registry enrollment for people convicted of second-degree felony strangulation, per the Ohio Legislative Service Commission. Sierah's Law currently requires violent offenders to register annually with county sheriffs.
Domestic violence reports remain a persistent issue in the region where Gruss's case began. The Ohio Attorney General's Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation recorded 340 domestic violence incidents across Lake County in 2025, with local departments such as Willoughby Police regularly logging dozens of such calls each year.
Several questions remain unresolved. It is not publicly known what condition the alleged victim in Willoughby was left in, whether additional charges such as failure to comply or obstructing official business will be filed over the hours-long Cleveland standoff, or when Gruss will be extradited from Cuyahoga County back to Lake County for his initial preliminary hearing. The strangulation allegation against him remains unproven and will need to be adjudicated through the Lake County court system.









