Sacramento/ Crime & Emergencies

Fatal Crash Shuts Reno's Spaghetti Bowl Ramp, Traffic Snarled for Hours

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 20, 2026
Fatal Crash Shuts Reno's Spaghetti Bowl Ramp, Traffic Snarled for HoursSource: X/Nevada State Police

A fatal crash involving a single vehicle shut down the Interstate 80 eastbound ramp to U.S. 395 northbound in Reno Thursday morning, forcing commuters into hours of detours through the heart of the region's busiest highway junction. Nevada State Police said troopers were on scene investigating and warned the closure was expected to last two to three hours.

The alert came from Nevada State Police, which posted just after 9:20 a.m. that the ramp was closed while the Nevada State Police Highway Patrol investigated the fatal wreck. Drivers were told to seek an alternate route, and the agency noted that anyone with an emergency should call 911. The post included a link to the Nevada 511 system for real-time updates on the incident.

The closure struck at what Nevada's Department of Transportation calls Northern Nevada's busiest highway junction, known locally as the Spaghetti Bowl. Originally built between 1969 and 1971 to handle roughly 90,000 vehicles a day for a Washoe County population of just 130,000, the interchange now carries an estimated 260,000 vehicles daily, according to the Nevada Department of Transportation.

A Junction Built for a Different Era

That mismatch between decades-old design and modern traffic volume has real consequences for safety. Crash rates within the Spaghetti Bowl's limits reach up to 150 percent of the Nevada statewide average, with closely spaced ramps and vehicle weaving identified as primary risk factors, per NDOT project data cited by ACP Publications. Standard interchange guidelines call for at least a mile of spacing between ramps, a threshold this complex junction does not meet.

NDOT has already spent $182 million on the first phase of its Spaghetti Bowl Xpress renovation, completed in December 2022 and focused on widening eastbound I-80 and adding auxiliary lanes to southbound I-580, according to Engineering News-Record. Full reconstruction across 12 miles of metro interstates is scheduled to continue through 2039, meaning the interchange will remain a work in progress for more than another decade.

Countywide Numbers Show Mixed Progress

Thursday's fatality lands amid otherwise improving safety trends in the region. Traffic fatalities in Washoe County dropped 30 percent during the first six months of 2026 compared with the same period last year, falling from 30 to 21 deaths and driven by a 56 percent reduction in vehicle occupant fatalities, per the Nevada Globe. Pedestrian deaths in the county, however, rose during that same window, the outlet reported.

Statewide, preliminary data from the Nevada Office of Traffic Safety showed 167 traffic deaths in the first half of 2026, a 16.5 percent decline from 200 deaths over the same period in 2025 and a continued drop from 2024's decade-high peak of 420 deaths. Nevada's 2024 fatality rate of 1.49 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled had ranked among the highest in the nation.

Single-Vehicle Crashes Remain the Leading Killer

Thursday's wreck fits a pattern that shows up in both national and state data. Single-vehicle crashes accounted for 52 percent of all U.S. motor vehicle fatalities in 2024, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and Nevada has historically recorded about 56 percent of its fatal crashes as single-vehicle incidents. Such crashes frequently involve rollovers or fixed-object roadside impacts, the analysis found.

Under Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 484E, any driver involved in a crash resulting in injury, death, or property damage exceeding $750 must immediately notify law enforcement or file an SR-1 report with the Nevada DMV if officers do not respond on scene. Leaving the scene of a crash without reporting it is a criminal offense under state law.

Enforcement Push Underway Across the Region

The crash also comes as the Washoe County Sheriff's Office runs a month-long statewide “Joining Forces” enforcement campaign in August targeting distracted driving across regional roadways and highway corridors, funded by the Nevada Office of Traffic Safety to reduce preventable crashes. The timing underscores state officials' broader push toward reducing highway deaths: NDOT's 2026-2030 Strategic Highway Safety Plan, released in February, set a goal of cutting fatal and serious injury crashes statewide by 35 percent by 2035, part of a long-range “Zero Fatalities” initiative targeting 2050. Nevada recorded 1,606 fatalities and nearly 7,000 serious injuries between 2019 and 2023 under the plan's baseline period.

Nevada State Police Highway Patrol's standard fatal crash investigation protocols typically require two to four hours of ramp closure for scene mapping, evidence preservation, and tow recovery, depending on scene complexity. Thursday's closure at the eastbound I-80 to northbound US-395 ramp falls within that range, and commuters were urged to plan alternate routes while the investigation continued.

This marks at least the second fatal crash on a Reno-area I-80 ramp that Hoodline has reported triggering major delays in less than a year, following a similar incident on an I-80 eastbound on-ramp in November 2025. No further details on the identities of those involved or the specific cause of Thursday's crash had been released as investigators worked the scene.