
A man was found dead underneath the Jacksonville Beach Fishing Pier late Wednesday night after officers responded to a reported disturbance in the area, and by Thursday morning police still hadn't released his age, identity, or cause of death. Officers were called to the 500 block of Beach Proper North and discovered the body beneath the pier structure, then taped off the area while they investigated through the overnight hours.
According to Action News Jax, police officers responded to the disturbance call and were still at the scene early Thursday working the investigation. A police news release cited by the outlet said officers were called to the area under the pier in the 500 block of Beach Proper North, where they found the deceased male and cordoned off the site with police tape. That same block, as reported by Action News Jax, encompasses not just the pier entrance itself but its adjoining boardwalk, a public parking lot, and the beach access corridors that draw crowds throughout the year.
A Jacksonville Beach Police Department statement given to News4JAX pinned the initial call time at approximately 9:50 p.m. Wednesday, when officers were dispatched to the reported disturbance near the pier before finding the man's body underneath the structure. Police said they planned to release more details later in the day, but as of the latest reporting, the deceased man's identity, age, and cause of death remained unreleased.
A Location With a History of Police Attention
The stretch of Beach Proper North where the body was found isn't new to law enforcement activity. Just days earlier, on August 14, Jacksonville Beach officers conducted a sleeping-in-public investigation in the same block that ended with the arrest of a non-compliant registered sexual offender, per the Jacksonville Beach Police Department. That kind of enforcement traces back to Florida House Bill 1365, a state law that took effect in October 2024 and bars municipalities from allowing people to camp or sleep in public spaces, including beaches and sidewalks.
The city has also leaned on curfew rules specific to the pier grounds. Municipal regulations from the Jacksonville Beach Police Department set juvenile curfew hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., barring unaccompanied minors from beach access points and the pier itself during those overnight hours. Police in the area also rely on technology beyond foot patrols, including Flock Safety license plate readers, overhead drones, and surveillance cameras to monitor the pier corridors and nearby access points, as detailed by News4JAX.
The Pier's Recent Past
The 1,300-foot Jacksonville Beach Fishing Pier reopened in July 2022 after an extensive rebuild following structural damage from Hurricanes Matthew and Irma years earlier, according to First Coast News. It has since become the city's central gathering point for major events, including the Fourth of July fireworks show that requires a two-block public safety perimeter, as Hoodline previously reported.
The pier has also seen its share of violence. In a 2024 shooting that remains unsolved, an unpermitted gathering beneath the pier escalated into gunfire that killed a 21-year-old man and injured three others. That incident helped drive the zero-tolerance crowd operations the department has run each spring since, deploying extra officers and partner agencies near the boardwalk during peak season, according to a department announcement.
For now, the circumstances surrounding Wednesday night's death remain unclear. Police have not said whether the disturbance that prompted the initial call was connected to the man's death, nor have they indicated whether foul play is suspected. Hoodline will update this story as Jacksonville Beach police release additional information.









