Orlando/ Crime & Emergencies

MCO Shuttle Bus Crash Terminal A Orlando Airport

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 19, 2026
MCO Shuttle Bus Crash Terminal A Orlando AirportSource: Olga Ernst, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

A shuttle bus carrying passengers from Orlando International Airport's economy parking lots crashed into Terminal A's commercial vehicle area on Tuesday, prompting airport officials to call in a structural engineer to check the building's integrity. No passengers required medical treatment, and the cause of the crash has not been determined.

The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority said crews arrived at the scene to assist passengers who were on board the shuttle bus at the time of the collision, according to WESH 2. The shuttle involved runs as part of MCO's free, continuous service connecting the $10-per-day North Park Place and South Park Place economy lots to Terminals A, B, and C, according to Triply. Passengers on board the shuttle refused medical treatment after the crash, per the aviation authority.

Structural Check Ordered, Bus Spots Cordoned Off

Following the impact, a structural engineer was called in to assess the building and conduct a formal structural analysis, the aviation authority said. A handful of bus parking spots were cordoned off in the wake of the crash, while the damaged shuttle itself was being towed from the premises. The incident remains in the preliminary review stages, and the exact cause of the crash has not been established.

Despite the disruption, shuttle and bus services were not interrupted and continued running without interruption, according to the aviation authority's account relayed by the same outlet. Terminal A's Level 1 curb is the central hub for buses, shuttles, and taxis at MCO, with economy lot shuttles typically dropping off and picking up passengers at designated spaces such as A16 and A17, according to Orlando International Airport's ground transportation guidance.

A Terminal Already Under Strain

The crash lands at a moment when MCO's ground transportation network is under heavier-than-usual pressure. The airport served more than 57.6 million passengers in 2025, making it the busiest airport in Florida and the seventh-busiest in the country, according to rankings reported by BlogMickey.com. That growth has pushed existing parking and roadway infrastructure close to capacity, prompting the aviation authority's board to approve a capital plan last October for 8,000 new parking spaces and upgraded baggage systems in Terminals A and B.

Adding to the strain, portions of Parking Garages A and B have been temporarily closed for upgrades this year, pushing more travelers onto economy surface lots and their connecting shuttle buses, per Orlando International Airport's traveler advisories. It is not the first time a vehicle crash has snarled traffic at MCO's terminal complex — a June 2025 collision at the Terminal A/B split along Jeff Fuqua Boulevard temporarily shut down road access to Terminal B, according to a report at the time from WKMG ClickOrlando.

Recent Scrutiny of Ground Vehicle Safety

The commercial vehicle zone at Terminal A is patrolled around the clock by the Orlando Police Department's Airport Division, which is tasked with overseeing terminal roadways, loading zones, and parking lots across the airport. That division also led targeted enforcement crackdowns against unpermitted vehicle-for-hire operators along the Terminal A and B curbs last year, reflecting ongoing curb congestion challenges even before Tuesday's crash.

Ground vehicle safety at MCO has drawn scrutiny in recent months. In July, an Orlando Police Department investigation was opened after an airport ground service tug crashed into a jet bridge at MCO, resulting in a worker fatality, according to social media reports covering the department's disclosures. Florida law, under Statute § 332.007, requires commercial service airports to maintain a comprehensive infrastructure program ensuring structural components and ground transportation zones stay safe and serviceable — a standard likely informing why engineers were dispatched so quickly to inspect Terminal A after Tuesday's impact.

For now, airport officials have not said when the cordoned-off bus spots will reopen or whether the structural review will turn up any damage. The investigation into what caused the shuttle to strike the terminal remains ongoing.