San Antonio/ Crime & Emergencies

San Antonio Pub Shooter Gets 12 Years, Paralyzed Victim's Family Says It's Not Enough

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 22, 2026
San Antonio Pub Shooter Gets 12 Years, Paralyzed Victim's Family Says It's Not EnoughSource: Google Street View

A San Antonio man who opened fire outside a Northeast Side bar in 2022, leaving one victim permanently paralyzed and another with a gunshot wound to the abdomen, was sentenced Wednesday to 12 years in prison on each of two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Keith Lamane Henley pleaded no contest to the charges after prosecutors said he fired more than 50 gunshots into a crowd outside Sir Winston's Pub, and the victims' family says the sentence brings closure but not enough accountability for a man they believe will never walk again.

The shooting happened in the early hours of May 14, 2022, outside Sir Winston's Pub at 2522 Nacogdoches Road, according to KENS 5. An argument and fight broke out inside the pub, and the shooter threatened to return with a gun before Henley left with a woman, retrieved a handgun equipped with an extended magazine, and came back to the parking lot, according to police attribution cited by the station. He then opened fire toward the pub's front door, firing more than 50 gunshots during the confrontation, police said.

David Rodriguez, who had been attending a bike-night fundraiser for a motorcycle club member battling cancer, was shot in the head and rushed into emergency surgery with critical head trauma. He survived, but is now paralyzed on the left side and needs help with daily activities. His daughter, Gloria Aguirre, said Rodriguez's bullet entered his head and exited through the back, and that Wednesday's sentencing hearing marked her first time viewing the surveillance video showing the shooting, per the same account from KENS 5.

A Bike-Night Fundraiser Turns Into a Shooting Scene

Rodriguez also suffered severe shoulder damage when he fell onto concrete during the shooting, according to the station's report. Before the shooting, he owned a welding business and had worked in China and Aruba, but he told KENS 5 he still does not know why Henley shot him. A second victim, Nathaniel Luke Greene, was shot in the abdomen and survived.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit reported by KSAT 12, the confrontation inside the bar began when a group of armed bikers threatened to kill Henley if he did not leave, prompting him to retrieve the handgun from his car before returning to fire at the entrance. That detail complicates the case's narrative of self-defense: while Henley may have faced threats inside the bar, his decision to arm himself with an extended-magazine handgun and fire dozens of rounds toward a crowd went well beyond any legal justification for defending himself, according to the affidavit's account of events. Gloria Aguirre put it more bluntly, saying of Henley, “He could have left, and he didn't.”

San Antonio police officers responding to the 1:30 a.m. emergency call found two victims with severe gunshot wounds outside the pub and rushed them to Brooke Army Medical Center in critical condition, according to the San Antonio Express-News. The initial police report listed the shooter as unidentified, and Henley fled the scene. Crime Stoppers of San Antonio later offered a reward of up to $5,000 for information identifying Henley and the woman who had been with him, releasing surveillance images before an anonymous tip identified both of them and led to an arrest warrant in late August 2022, KSAT 12 reported.

Months on the Run Before an Anonymous Tip

Henley, then 45, was arrested by San Antonio police in October 2022 and held in the Bexar County Jail on two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, with bond initially set at $150,000, per KSAT 12's earlier reporting. He ultimately pleaded no contest to both counts, and a plea agreement capped his maximum punishment at 12 years, below the statutory ceiling. Judge Frank J. Castro denied deferred adjudication and imposed a 12-year prison term on each count, according to KENS 5.

Under Texas Penal Code §22.02, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing serious bodily injury is a second-degree felony carrying a punishment range of two to 20 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000, as explained by The Hull Firm. Because the case involved an affirmative deadly-weapon finding, Henley generally must serve half his sentence before he is first eligible for parole, per Texas Government Code §508.145(d) as detailed by the Texas District & County Attorneys Association. That rule requires inmates to serve at least 50 percent of their sentence in calendar time without credit for good conduct, meaning Henley faces a minimum of roughly six years behind bars before a parole board even considers his case. Parole eligibility, however, does not guarantee his release.

Family Says Justice Feels Incomplete

Gloria Aguirre said the hearing closed the court case and allowed the family to move forward, telling KENS 5 that the family received justice. But her sister, Jessyka Aguirre, said 12 years was not long enough because her father will never walk again. Rodriguez has been a member of the Bandidos Motorcycle Club for 14 years, and fellow club members helped raise money for a wheelchair-accessible van after the shooting left him needing daily assistance.

The Bandidos have faced their own legal scrutiny in recent years. Federal prosecutors in Texas unsealed a racketeering indictment in February 2025 against 14 members of the club, a case Hoodline previously reported as part of ongoing federal attention on the outlaw motorcycle gang. That scrutiny is separate from the Sir Winston's shooting, but it underscores the world Rodriguez has belonged to for over a decade, one that rallied around him after his injuries left him unable to return to welding work.

The 2022 shooting was not an isolated incident for San Antonio's bar scene that spring. It occurred just two days before a separate shootout at Hills and Dales Icehouse that collectively hospitalized three people, part of what the San Antonio Current described as a brief surge in bar-related gun violence that spring. In response, Sir Winston's Pub hosted an active-shooter training session that June for local bar staff, led by a Hidalgo County sheriff's deputy and focused on de-escalating alcohol-fueled conflicts. The bar, located in the Colonial Plaza Shopping Center near San Antonio International Airport, has long operated as a neighborhood spot known for karaoke and daily patronage, and Nacogdoches Road has seen other violent crime in recent months, including a botched robbery reported by Hoodline in March.