
Pittsburgh police have charged a 37-year-old Allentown man with rape after surveillance cameras captured him carrying a woman's limp body into a South Side parking lot earlier this month, then assaulting her. Larry Pappy Johnson was not in custody as of late Wednesday morning, according to online court records, even though charges against him were filed on August 17.
How Investigators Identified the Suspect
The case broke open in an unusual way, as reported by TribLIVE: after the woman was released from the hospital, she used the Find My app to track her stolen phone, watch and purse to a home on Excelsior Street in Allentown. There, Johnson personally handed her belongings back to her and gave her his phone number, according to CBS News. That encounter became the thread investigators pulled to connect him to the assault.
The woman had gone to Capo's Bar at East Carson and 14th streets on August 8 and became intoxicated there, per the timeline laid out in court records cited by TribLIVE. She said she was too intoxicated to consent to sex and could not recall what happened to her afterward. Police officers first came across her naked in the South 14th Street parking lot — across East Carson Street from Capo's — while responding to an unrelated public drunkenness call, the outlet reported. An officer told her that a man had dragged her to the lot before she was taken to the hospital.
What the Camera Footage Allegedly Shows
City surveillance cameras captured the woman and Johnson standing together before the assault, and footage from the parking lot itself allegedly shows him picking her up by the waist and carrying her limp body to a corner of the lot before raping her, according to the same court records reviewed by TribLIVE. The footage further shows him leaving her naked and motionless afterward, the report states. Johnson faces charges including rape, sexual assault, indecent assault, indecent exposure, robbery, false imprisonment and summary harassment.
Under Pennsylvania law, rape of a person who is unconscious or substantially impaired is a first-degree felony carrying up to 20 years in prison, per the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Megan's Law site. Indecent assault under similar circumstances is a first-degree misdemeanor that can carry up to five years and mandatory sex offender registration, according to legal guidance published by James Law, LLC. Johnson has a prior brush with federal law enforcement in the region: a 2010 U.S. Department of Justice press release named him as an alleged co-conspirator in an Allegheny County bank fraud scheme involving forged checks drawn on closed accounts, with co-defendants in that case pleading guilty in Pittsburgh federal court.
A Bar Already Under Scrutiny
Capo's has drawn repeated regulatory pressure well before this incident. The City of Pittsburgh designated it a “disruptive property” last year after multiple fights inside and outside the bar involved officers deploying Tasers and pepper spray, according to WPXI. That designation lets the city bill the property owner for emergency service responses. The Allegheny County District Attorney's Nuisance Bar Task Force also opened a formal investigation into the bar's liquor license over repeated violent incidents and unruly weekend crowds, CBS News reported, and the Allegheny County Health Department issued a consumer alert against the business after inspectors found 15 health violations, including mold on food containers, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The property, formerly known as Carson City Saloon, was purchased for $1 million earlier in 2024 by an undisclosed limited liability company before its rebrand.
Surveillance Network's Role in the Investigation
The presence of usable footage traces back to a district attorney-led effort years in the making. In 2017, then-District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. and local businesses spent $385,000 to install three dozen cameras along East Carson Street to curb crime and assist investigations, with the network streaming video directly to mobile law enforcement units, per the Post-Gazette. That infrastructure is part of a broader, ongoing push to manage safety in the South Side entertainment district — city officials and Pennsylvania State Police discussed closing portions of East Carson Street on weekend nights and setting up security checkpoints at 10th and 18th streets last year, CBS Pittsburgh reported.
The case adds to a string of recent South Side incidents Hoodline has covered, including a violent chase along East Carson Street in April. Whether Johnson will be taken into custody, and whether prosecutors plan to introduce the Find My tracking history alongside the camera footage as evidence, remain open questions as the case moves forward.









