Private Middle/High School 'Rise University Preparatory' Prepares To Launch In Bayview Next Fall

Photos courtesy of Rise University Preparatory
By Meaghan M. Mitchell - Published on November 18, 2016.

A new middle and high school, Rise University Preparatory, is set to open next fall at 1224 Fairfax Ave. in Bayview.

The independent Christian school aims to increase academic excellence in the neighborhood—starting with offering 20 sixth graders. The school will offer students a curriculum that will include more hands-on, project-based learning opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), as well as critical thinking and humanities electives.

“I graduated from Stanford in '95," said Juliette Chien, who serves as 'head of school' for Rise. ”Ever since then, my husband and I have been motivated to use our privilege for the marginalized in society."

"I fell into middle school teaching and loved it," she added. "I’ve also taught for private and public schools for many years. My connection with Bayview started at Redeemer Community Church. While working alongside this ministry and others, I just felt welcome in this community and decided that I wanted to give more of myself.”


The school's founding faculty and staff, supported by Redeemer Community Church, is comprised of Bayview residents who graduated from Ivy league universities like Stanford and Harvard. The staff's goal: have their first class of high-school seniors graduate from Rise with a 100 percent acceptance rate into four-year universities.

Building toward this goal, the school will admit 20 sixth graders for the 2017-2018 school year. As the 2017-2018 class moves into seventh grade, a fresh class of sixth graders will be admitted. By spring 2023, Rise University Preparatory will be a fully operating secondary school offering grades 6-12.

A school day at Rise will run from 9am-5pm. In between typical class periods, students will receive one-on-one mentorship and homework assistance from community members.

“We want to create a family atmosphere and give extra academic support," said Chien. "I’ve seen kids do well in private schools, but there are always a few that fall through the cracks. This will ensure that everyone has an equal learning opportunity.”

A sample schedule for future students.

Ninety percent of Rise's funding was raised by private donors, 

Rise raised 90 percent of its funding from private donors. The remaining 10 percent of the school's operating budget will be covered by student tuition, which will be set at $2,000 per child annually. (According to Rise's website, "Tuition at a typical San Francisco private school is $20,000 to $40,000 or more per year." And families that have the means to pay more than $2,000 a year are encouraged to do so.) 

Eighty percent of Rise’s enrollment will be reserved for local Bayview students, low-income families and first-generation college-bound students.

“I’m really excited to be giving back to this good neighborhood in this way," Chien said. ”I look forward to idea of having a diverse group of students that will work together and grow together. I hope that this educational institution will be demonstration of God’s love.”

From 9-10:30am tomorrow, Rise University Preparatory is hosting an open house for families interested in enrolling their children. Visit the school's website for more information on the curriculum and application process, and RSVP to take a tour tomorrow or mid-next month.

About 7 hours ago
San Francisco Castro Duboce Triangle

Castro cannabis retailer Flore Store announces 4/20 opening & mural competition

The Castro's newest cannabis retailer Flore Store (258 Noe St.) has announced its grand opening on 4/20 — across the street from Flore a.k.a. Cafe Flore. Read More

About 14 hours ago
San Francisco Outer Sunset

DamnFine debuts in the Outer Sunset with wood-fired pizzas, Italian wines

The pandemic has cemented our love affair with comfort foods — chief among them pizza and to-go cocktails. DamnFine (3410 Judah Street), one of the newest restaurants to grace the Outer Sunset, is intent on being a one-stop destination for all that and more. Read More

Jan 26, 2021
San Francisco

Girls Scout Cookie season is here, but don’t expect in-person sales

The Girls Scouts of Northern California will not do-si-do with their normal cookie sale booths during the pandemic, but tag along as we show you how to buy Girls Scout Cookies online in the Bay Area. Read More

Jan 25, 2021
San Francisco Castro

Castro Theatre's massive new hybrid organ may get installed in time for cinemas to reopen

The new hybrid digital/pipe organ that has been in the works for the grand Castro Theatre for about six years is finally about to become a reality, and depending on how long it takes to ship from Pennsylvania and how long it takes for movie theaters to safely reopen in San Francisco, it may arrive just time for the Castro's next public screenings. Read More