Denver/ Community & Society

Arvada Denies Permits for 100-Year-Old Harvest Festival Over Cost, Safety Concerns

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 20, 2026
Arvada Denies Permits for 100-Year-Old Harvest Festival Over Cost, Safety ConcernsSource: Google Street View

Arvada has denied permits for its full-scale Harvest Festival and Parade this year, forcing the century-old volunteer tradition into a smaller gathering just months after celebrating its 100th anniversary in Olde Town Arvada. City officials cited traffic concerns, safety issues, operational challenges, and financial concerns behind the decision, while festival organizers say they're now scrambling to keep the event alive in a different location.

The permit denial, first reported by Denver7, comes after Arvada City Manager Don Wick sent a letter to the Arvada Harvest Festival and Parade committee in March, according to the city letter. Per that letter, festival organizers were unresponsive during the permit process, had no reliable point of contact, and changed parade details without notice. Wick said significant changes must be made before the city approves future permits, and the city said it will not permit the event under its current model.

City officials say the financial burden has become untenable. Arvada absorbed around $40,000 in costs for last year's event, paying for staffing, traffic control, barricades, engineering, permitting, and cleanup, and the city said the festival model is financially unsustainable for taxpayers. The city also received business feedback about uncollected trash following the event, according to the same report.

Safety Concerns Compounded Over Time

Rachael Kuroiwa said the city's decision was based on cumulative overall challenges rather than any single safety event, the report notes. Still, the dossier of concerns includes real logistical strain: traffic barriers impeded emergency access during the festival, and emergency responders experienced a delayed response during the event. The Arvada Harvest Festival and Parade also interfered with the nearby farmers' market, adding another layer of friction in the tight historic footprint of Olde Town Arvada.

This isn't the first time the city has reworked the festival's logistics. Officials altered the parade route away from Olde Town streets to Ralston Road back in 2019 to address crowd safety and emergency vehicle access concerns, per Patch. And in August 2021, organizers canceled the parade entirely after the city denied permits for its carnival and midway over COVID-19 Delta variant concerns, making a truncated event unfeasible at the time.

A Century-Old Tradition Faces New Rules

The Arvada Harvest Festival traces back to October 1925, when it was established to celebrate the completion of the first concrete road connecting Arvada and Denver, according to historical context reported by Patch. The event is recognized as the second-longest continuously running community festival and parade in Colorado, per Kids Out and About Denver. The Arvada Jaycees became its primary sponsor in 1937, running it out of the historic Jaycee Hall built in 1902 at 5640 Yukon Street, according to History Colorado.

At full scale, the three-day festival has traditionally drawn an estimated 35,000 attendees with around 100 vendor exhibitors across two stages, according to FestivalNet. The 2025 event marked the festival's 100th anniversary, running September 5 to 7 in Olde Town Arvada with parades, live music, and agricultural competitions, as reported on Facebook by the Arvada Press. Olde Town Arvada, the festival's traditional site, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and once served as an agricultural hub historically known as the Celery Capital of the World.

Organizers Look for a New Path Forward

Renee Nelson, vice president of the Arvada Junior Chamber Foundation, said the organizers' goal is to keep the traditions alive. She said the festival has simply grown too large logistically to organize at its usual scale this year, and that organizers are looking for something really big next year, according to the report. Nelson also said she plans to find a permanent home for the event going forward.

For 2026, the festival will run September 11 and 12, with events possibly continuing into September 13, and will be held at the Arvada Junior Chamber Foundation's Yukon Street location rather than Olde Town. The city said it will evaluate a different festival location and will consider future permits if changes are made, though it requires timely permit applications, financial responsibility for event operating costs, compliance with public safety requirements, a professional event organizer, an event lead, and full participation in planning meetings before signing off on anything larger. City officials have not discussed taking over and running the festival themselves.

Arvada, now Colorado's seventh most populous city with a population of 124,402 recorded in the 2020 U.S. Census spanning Jefferson and Adams counties, has grown considerably since the festival's founding nearly a century ago. That growth is part of what's straining the volunteer-led event, which is led by volunteers and has a century-old history rooted in a much smaller, more agricultural version of the city. Whether the Arvada Junior Chamber Foundation can rebuild the festival into something the city will fully permit again in 2027 remains an open question.