
A Fulton County jury convicted Christopher Cruz of murder Monday for the May 2025 shooting death of his girlfriend, Jetzy Romero-Garcia, after prosecutors used footage from six separate security cameras to dismantle his claim that she had been caught in a drive-by shooting. Cruz was sentenced to life in prison. Jurors deliberated for less than an hour before finding him guilty.
According to WSB-TV, Romero-Garcia sustained more than 40 blunt force trauma wounds before she was shot point blank in the head. Cruz later drove her to Grady Memorial Hospital and told staff she had been injured in a drive-by shooting, but investigators say the surveillance footage told a very different story. Grady, in downtown Atlanta, houses the Marcus Trauma Center and is metro Atlanta's only nationally verified Level 1 adult trauma center, according to Emory School of Medicine, handling roughly 3,500 acute trauma admissions a year.
The night began, per the station's report, with Cruz and Romero-Garcia dancing together at Tongue & Groove, the Buckhead nightclub where they had been drinking and socializing before the killing. The venue, an 8,600-square-foot space at Lindbergh City Center, originally opened in Buckhead Village in 1994 and relocated in 2008, making it one of Atlanta's longest continuously operating nightlife spots, per a Wikipedia history of the club. Prosecutors said Romero-Garcia blew a kiss to a security guard and rebuffed an old boyfriend that night, details that surfaced during trial testimony.
Video Trail Undercuts the Drive-By Story
Cameras captured the couple leaving the club and arguing on the street afterward, the same account notes. Romero-Garcia was seen hiding temporarily under a MARTA utility truck before Cruz forced her into a parking-deck stairwell, where he beat and shot her. Investigators say Romero-Garcia punched Cruz at some point during the escalating confrontation, and that he followed her as she tried to get away.
Multi-angle footage from six distinct security cameras formed the backbone of the state's case, according to Crime Watch Atlanta, stitching together the couple's movements from the nightclub to the parking deck where Romero-Garcia was killed. An officer later found the murder weapon inside Cruz's car. Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis said Cruz had threatened Romero-Garcia with a gun before the killing.
A Threat Made Months Before the Killing
Chief Senior District Attorney Christinia Clark, who helped lead the prosecution alongside Deputy District Attorney Asia Baysah, told jurors that Cruz pulled a loaded firearm in December 2024 and promised to shoot Romero-Garcia in the head. “In December of 2024, the defendant pulled a loaded firearm and promised to shoot Jetzy in the head. Five months later, he kept that promise,” Clark said, according to Crime Watch Atlanta. Clark also said Cruz's mix of charm and abuse reflected “the hallmark of a domestic abuser.”
Baysah, who manages the Fulton County District Attorney's Office's Brenda Baham Domestic Violence Division, has overseen a unit built specifically to prosecute intimate partner violence cases, according to Fulton County government records. In a court filing, Amanda Clark Palmer wrote that character letters described Cruz as kind, respectful, peaceful, hardworking, dependable, generous, family-oriented, disciplined, and willing to help others — a portrait prosecutors say clashed sharply with the documented threat and the violence that followed.
Georgia Code and the Sentence
Under Georgia Code § 16-5-1, a malice murder conviction carries mandatory statutory penalties of the death penalty, life imprisonment without parole, or life imprisonment, according to Justia Law. Cruz received a sentence of life in prison following his conviction.
Fulton County's Broader Push on Domestic Violence
The case lands amid a documented rise in caseloads for Fulton County prosecutors: the district attorney's office received 694 new domestic violence cases in 2024 and secured an 87% conviction rate across domestic violence prosecutions in 2025, per Capital B News. In January, Willis announced plans for a $2 million Family Justice Center, expected to open by spring 2027, intended to consolidate legal, medical, and social services for domestic abuse survivors who often struggle to navigate fragmented support systems during active crises.
Statewide, the Georgia Commission on Family Violence has documented a sharp rise in domestic violence-related murder-suicides and intimate partner homicides, prompting expanded fatality review efforts to guide policy recommendations. Advocacy group Safer Georgia has separately noted that Georgia law lacks mandatory disarming provisions for people convicted of qualifying domestic violence misdemeanors or subject to final protective orders, a gap advocates continue pressing lawmakers to close.









