
A person died following a construction accident on westbound I-70 at St. Charles Rock Road in Bridgeton, Missouri, early Tuesday morning. The accident happened around 2:30 a.m., shutting down a stretch of the interstate that sits inside an active highway work zone.
According to First Alert 4, the station reached out to Bridgeton police and the Missouri Department of Transportation for more information but had not received further details at the time of its report. It is not yet known whether the person killed was a construction worker or a vehicle occupant, who was operating the work zone, or whether speed or distraction played a role in the accident. First Alert 4 says it will continue providing updates as they become available.
The stretch of I-70 where the accident occurred falls within MoDOT's broader Improve I-70 STL Conceptual Study, which outlines bridge replacement work at the Route 180 overpass carrying St. Charles Rock Road over the interstate in Bridgeton, as well as at the nearby I-270 interchange. The state agency's study is meant to address long-term safety and capacity needs along I-70 between the Missouri River and North Hanley Road.
A Corridor Already Under Strain
Bridgeton's fatal accident lands amid a run of dangerous incidents tied to Missouri highway construction zones this year. On August 14, a pedestrian was struck and killed on westbound I-70 in Wentzville inside a narrowed work zone tied to a $600 million expansion project, a case Hoodline previously reported. Three months earlier, an O'Fallon police officer suffered burn injuries while pulling a crash victim from a vehicle after a small explosion at the Bryan Road and I-70 interchange, another site undergoing active bridge rehabilitation.
In April, transportation officials flagged a surging statewide trend of distracted or speeding drivers slamming into truck-mounted attenuator trucks, the protective vehicles stationed ahead of crews to absorb rear-end impacts before they reach workers. Those cushion trucks were struck 50 times across Missouri in 2025 alone, a 47% jump from 34 strikes the year before, according to the Missouri Department of Transportation.
Statewide Numbers Paint a Grim Picture
MoDOT recorded eight fatal work zone crashes statewide in the second quarter of 2026, resulting in eight deaths, two of which involved roadside workers struck during operations, per the agency's own data. Distracted driving alone contributed to 437 work zone crashes and 12 work zone fatalities across the state during 2025, even after Missouri's hands-free driving law took full effect in January of that year.
Construction remains one of the deadliest private industries in Missouri more broadly. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' 2024 Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries counted 22 construction deaths among the state's 118 total workplace fatalities that year, with transportation-related incidents accounting for the single largest share of occupational deaths statewide.
Missouri's overall traffic fatalities have actually been trending downward, reaching 909 in 2025, a 4.8% decrease from 2024 and the third consecutive year of declining road deaths under the state's Show-Me Zero safety initiative. But work zones remain a stubborn exception to that trend, and Missouri's Hit-A-Worker law reflects that concern: drivers who harm highway workers in designated work zones face criminal charges, license suspension, and fines up to $10,000.
No cause has been determined in Tuesday's Bridgeton accident, and it remains unclear whether any MoDOT or workplace safety investigation has been formally opened. First Alert 4 said it would provide updates once Bridgeton police or MoDOT respond with additional information.









