
A gunman opened fire near the corner of Wyckoff and Greene Avenues in Bushwick just before 6 p.m. Monday, sending bullets into a parked car and sparking a manhunt that was still active as of Tuesday morning. No one was struck by the gunfire, according to police, but the shooting unfolded in broad daylight on a stretch of the neighborhood that sees heavy foot traffic from nearby transit and commercial corridors.
Police told News 12 Brooklyn that investigators are searching for a man last seen wearing a white shirt and black jeans, carrying a black backpack. The gunfire, which erupted near Wyckoff and Greene Avenues, damaged a parked car but caused no injuries, per the outlet's report. The intersection sits roughly two blocks from the Myrtle-Wyckoff Avenues subway complex, a major transfer point connecting the L and M trains between Brooklyn and Queens, according to transit mapping data.
The shooting falls under the jurisdiction of the NYPD's 83rd Precinct, headquartered at 480 Knickerbocker Avenue under Deputy Inspector Thomas J. Maffei, per 50-a.org. That command patrols all of Bushwick between Flushing Avenue and Broadway, an area of roughly 1.83 square miles and more than 120,000 residents, according to Wikipedia. Any victims of gunfire in this stretch of Bushwick are typically routed to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center on Stockholm Street, the borough's primary trauma facility for the precinct, per the same outlet's earlier report.
A Precinct Already Under Scrutiny
Monday's shooting adds to a troubling run for the 83rd Precinct. A July analysis of NYPD CompStat data published by Vital City found the precinct posted a 31.6% increase in major crime during the first half of 2026 compared to the same period last year — the largest percentage jump of any command in New York City. The Wyckoff-Greene shooting fits into that broader pattern of rising violence in a neighborhood where gentrification and street-level crime have collided in recent years.
It is not the first daylight gunfire to rattle Bushwick this year. Hoodline previously reported that a Bushwick post office run erupted in gunfire on May 5 outside a U.S. Post Office on Broadway. Just weeks before Monday's incident, on August 1, a 20-year-old man was shot twice during a street dispute on Decatur Street, prompting the precinct to call a Level 1 Mobilization to hunt for the fleeing shooter.
Potential Charges Facing the Shooter
Legal experts note that firing a gun in a public space near bystanders can be charged in New York as first-degree reckless endangerment, a Class D felony under Penal Law § 120.25 punishable by up to seven years in prison, according to Saland Law. Prosecutors would need to show conduct creating a grave risk of death with depraved indifference. Carrying an unlicensed, loaded firearm on a public street is separately prosecuted as second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a Class C felony under Penal Law § 265.03 that carries a mandatory minimum state prison sentence, per FindLaw.
Investigators have not said whether surveillance footage from nearby Wyckoff Avenue businesses captured the suspect's escape, nor whether ballistic evidence might tie the gun to other recent Bushwick shootings — including the fatal shooting reported on the Bushwick-Bed-Stuy border earlier this month. It also remains unclear whether the 83rd Precinct plans any targeted patrol increase around the Wyckoff Avenue corridor in response.
The NYPD is asking anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS. Tipsters can remain anonymous, and the agency offers rewards of up to $3,500 for information leading to an arrest and indictment in violent crime cases.









