Cleveland/ Crime & Emergencies

Cleveland Mother Demands Answers After Son Beaten Unconscious at Max S. Hayes High

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 23, 2026
Cleveland Mother Demands Answers After Son Beaten Unconscious at Max S. Hayes HighSource: Google Street View

A Cleveland mother says her son was beaten unconscious at Max S. Hayes High School and is now demanding that the district actually enforce the anti-bullying policies it already has on the books. The incident happened at the West 65th Street career-technical magnet school in the Clark-Fulton neighborhood, according to the mother, who is pushing Cleveland Metropolitan School District officials for accountability.

The case was first reported by Cleveland 19 News, which detailed the mother's account of her son being beaten unconscious at the school and her call for stronger bullying enforcement. Max S. Hayes serves as CMSD's primary career technical education magnet high school, enrolling roughly 580 to 590 students across grades 9 through 12, per My Cleveland Schools. Students are required to complete trade-specific pathways in Automotive Technology, Building & Construction, or Manufacturing, according to the same source.

What District Policy Requires When Bullying Is Reported

Under CMSD Board Policy JFCF, any school employee who witnesses or becomes aware of student bullying must report it immediately to a building administrator, who is then required to document, investigate, and put in place a strategy to protect the victim from further incidents or retaliation. The policy explicitly bars retaliation against anyone who reports bullying and allows students or parents to submit complaints anonymously. State law reinforces those obligations: Ohio Revised Code Section 3313.666 requires every public school board to maintain a formal policy against harassment, intimidation, and bullying on school grounds, on buses, and at school-sponsored events, with mandatory staff reporting and prompt parent notification. Ohio law defines bullying as an intentional written, verbal, electronic, or physical act repeated more than once that causes mental or physical harm.

It remains unclear, based on available reporting, whether those mandatory reporting and protection steps were followed in this case, what specific disciplinary action, if any, has been taken against the students involved, or what CMSD has said publicly about the incident beyond the mother's account.

District Safety Systems Under Scrutiny

CMSD has been retooling how it tracks campus safety incidents. At a January board work session, CEO Dr. Warren Morgan told board members the district implemented a new system in 2025 to categorize school safety and security incidents by severity rather than simply counting them, a shift meant to help officials evaluate whether targeted interventions are working, according to Signal Cleveland. The district has also worked to strengthen ties between school security and city police: in April 2023, CMSD integrated exterior security cameras at 16 school facilities directly into the Cleveland Division of Police monitoring system as part of the joint “Stay Safe & Aware” initiative with the city and regional transit officials.

Beyond the school walls, CMSD has been rebuilding programs meant to protect students during their daily commutes. This month, the district announced plans to revive its Safe Passage program with 16 dedicated staff members tasked with monitoring student transit routes and de-escalating conflicts during arrivals and dismissals for the 2026–2027 school year, according to the same Signal Cleveland report. Previous safe passage efforts had lapsed due to funding shortfalls, a gap that had already drawn community concern over student safety during commutes. Separately, the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority board approved a $2.5 million agreement in July providing 13,500 public transit passes to CMSD high schoolers, supporting travel to magnet and career-technical programs across the city, as Hoodline reported in its coverage of GCRTA leadership.

Part of a Wider Pattern of Campus Violence

The Max S. Hayes case fits into a broader pattern of serious youth violence in Cuyahoga County schools. In October 2024, a classroom box-cutter attack at Maple Heights High School left two students hospitalized and resulted in a felonious assault charge, stemming from an ongoing conflict between students that triggered an hour-long campus lockdown, as Hoodline reported in its earlier coverage of that incident. Max S. Hayes itself operates in a building that opened in August 2015 as a $48 million replacement for the school's original 1957 facility, according to Wikipedia, and serves a student population where, per state performance data for the 2024–2025 school year, all students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch, and the four-year graduation rate ranges from about 63% to 72%.

For now, the central facts of what happened to the mother's son at Max S. Hayes, and how the district responded in the moment, rest on her account as relayed to Cleveland 19 News. What discipline, if any, followed, and whether CMSD's mandatory reporting protocols were triggered as required under state law and district policy, remain open questions the district has not yet publicly answered.