Portland/ Crime & Emergencies

Knife-Wielding Suspect Sends Northwest Portland Into Lockdown, K-9s and Drones Join Hunt

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 13, 2026
Knife-Wielding Suspect Sends Northwest Portland Into Lockdown, K-9s and Drones Join HuntSource: Portland Police Bureau

Portland police told residents in a chunk of Northwest Portland to lock their doors and stay inside Wednesday afternoon as officers hunted for a suspect armed with a knife who fled on foot. The perimeter stretched from NW Overton Street to NW Northrup Street and from NW 18th Avenue to NW 19th Avenue, putting a slice of the Alphabet District and Slabtown neighborhoods under an active shelter-in-place order.

The alert went out at 3:05 p.m. Wednesday under case number 26-235171, according to a Portland Police Bureau news release, which said the suspect had been seen with a knife and fled after officers attempted to make contact. Police told residents inside the perimeter to stay inside with doors and windows locked while the search continued, and said the suspect was believed to be hiding near NW 18th Avenue and NW Overton Street. As OregonLive first reported, the bureau said the situation was still unfolding and that it would update the public as more information became available.

Officers brought in K-9 units to track the suspect through the dense residential blocks, and deployed drones to scan the area from above, per the police bureau's release. The bureau's small Unmanned Aircraft System program was expanded beyond its original 2023 pilot after the Portland City Council unanimously voted in September 2024 to authorize wider aerial searches for fleeing and barricaded suspects. Police canine handlers who track fugitives through urban neighborhoods train under Oregon Police Canine Association standards, which call for roughly 400 hours of initial certification to help dogs distinguish a suspect's scent from the ambient smells of a crowded city block.

How the Shelter-in-Place Alert Reached Residents

Emergency notifications like Wednesday's were pushed out through PublicAlerts, the regional emergency notification system that Multnomah County uses to send targeted text, email, and landline alerts to people living inside a designated perimeter. Landlines within the affected zone are automatically enrolled in the system, while residents relying on mobile phones have to opt in ahead of time to receive the warnings.

It remains unclear whether the foot chase stemmed from a specific earlier crime or disturbance, and neither the suspect's identity nor whether the person had been located was confirmed as of Wednesday afternoon. No information on injuries to officers or bystanders had been released at that point either.

A Neighborhood That Has Seen This Before

The four-block search zone sits at the seam between the historic Alphabet District and the redeveloped Slabtown area, a dense, walkable stretch of apartment buildings and commercial storefronts one block north of a Portland Streetcar line running along NW Northrup Street. It is not the first time knife violence has triggered a lockdown in the immediate area. In August 2025, a stabbing near NW 18th Avenue and Johnson Street — just three blocks south of Wednesday's perimeter — sent two victims to the hospital and led to a shelter-in-place order after a suspect barricaded himself inside a home, as Hoodline reported in its piece on the 2025 Northwest Portland stabbing. That standoff was resolved by tactical officers before the order was lifted.

Shelter-in-place advisories have become a recurring tool for the bureau this year. Portland police issued a similar order in Old Town near NW 6th Avenue and NW Everett Street in July after tactical teams responded to a report of an armed disturbance, closing multiple blocks before clearing the scene.

Weapons Charges Suspects Can Face

Under Oregon law, carrying or possessing a dangerous weapon such as a knife with intent to use it unlawfully against another person qualifies as Unlawful Use of a Weapon, a Class C felony that can carry up to five years in prison, according to Oregon Revised Statutes. Fleeing on foot during an active police stop can separately amount to interfering with a peace officer, a Class A misdemeanor punishable by as much as 364 days in jail and fines up to $6,250 under state statute. Those potential charges have not been confirmed against the Northwest Portland suspect, whose identity and custody status remained unknown as of Wednesday afternoon.

The incident comes as Portland has otherwise seen a sharp drop in lethal violence this year. A police bureau report cited by KPTV found that citywide homicides fell 56 percent year-to-date in 2026 compared with the same period in 2025, even as officers logged 320 total shootings through early August. City officials have credited targeted Ceasefire and enforcement programs for the decline, even as individual armed encounters like Wednesday's continue to prompt heavy police responses in residential neighborhoods.