New York City/ Community & Society

Met Guard Halts Kneeling Groom Mid-Proposal, Couple Says It Was Ruined

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 22, 2026
Met Guard Halts Kneeling Groom Mid-Proposal, Couple Says It Was RuinedSource: Wikipedia/Hugo Schneider, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

A young couple's marriage proposal at the Metropolitan Museum of Art came to an abrupt halt when a security guard ordered the kneeling groom-to-be to get up, telling the pair that engagements were forbidden inside the museum. The woman, identified only as Lina, said she was upset that her proposal was ruined and later posted footage of the moment on Instagram, where it has drawn more than 55,000 views.

Lina told the New York Post that the guard was rude and condescending, and she described him as being on a power trip. She said proposals are, in fact, allowed at the museum, disputing the guard's claim on the spot. The Met did not return the Post's request for comment on the incident.

According to the Post's report, the couple are native New Yorkers who met at the Metropolitan Museum of Art a few years earlier, making the venue a deeply personal choice for the engagement. After the guard interrupted the proposal, the couple left the museum. They still plan to get married, and the pair, apparently unwilling to let the moment be entirely spoiled, headed to Shake Shack afterward.

What the Museum's Rules Actually Say

The Met's own visitor policies back up part of the guard's warning, even if the delivery drew criticism. Under the museum's official Photo and Video Policy, unauthorized photo shoots and staged photography are strictly prohibited inside the galleries, a category that explicitly includes engagement and wedding shoots, even as personal non-flash photography remains allowed. The same guidelines prohibit tripods, large equipment, and full-face masks, and they grant museum security staff sole discretion to restrict photography or intervene whenever visitor conduct is deemed to endanger art objects or disrupt gallery operations.

That discretion is exactly what commenters reacting to the video zeroed in on. One commenter argued the guard could have allowed the proposal to unfold and explained the policy afterward, while another said discretion matters when enforcing rules like these. A separate commenter claimed hundreds of people have proposed at the Met over the past five years without incident, and another said they hoped the employee involved was addressed by museum management.

Who Enforces the Rules, and What They're Paid to Do It

The guards tasked with making these judgment calls are represented by Local 1503 of District Council 37, AFSCME, a union that has represented Met guards and facility workers since the 1950s, according to Cultbytes. Starting pay for security guards at major New York City cultural institutions has historically hovered near minimum wage, between $14.08 and $15.00 an hour, per a Hyperallergic report on the working conditions of the city's museum guard workforce. Those entry-level roles require balancing artwork preservation against direct, often emotionally charged, public interaction.

The Met itself operates under an unusual public-private arrangement: the city of New York owns the land and historic building, but the museum's collections and daily operations are run by a private non-profit governed by a 41-member board of trustees, per Wikipedia. Hoodline previously reported that the museum racked up fire code fines the city never directly collected, even as the Met posted more than $400 million in net income in 2025 while advancing a $550 million capital expansion.

A Familiar Pattern of Venue Rules Colliding With Romance

This is not the first time strict venue policy has collided messily with a marriage proposal caught on camera. In June 2022, a Disneyland Paris employee physically rushed in and snatched an engagement ring box from a kneeling man mid-proposal, an incident that went viral worldwide and prompted Disney to issue a public apology for how the security policy was enforced, according to The Independent. Disney later acknowledged that while the location itself was restricted for safety reasons, the employee's sudden physical intervention was mishandled.

New York's outdoor public spaces generally take a lighter touch than the Met's galleries. The NYC Department of Parks and Recreation requires special event permits, costing $25, only for organized gatherings of 20 or more people in places like Central Park, while smaller, non-staged proposals generally need no formal permit at all. The department also runs an Adopt-A-Bench program, letting couples dedicate a park bench with an engraved plaque for proposals or memorials in exchange for a $5,000 tax-deductible contribution.

For Lina and her boyfriend, none of those outdoor options were the point. The museum was where they met years earlier, and it was where they wanted to start their engagement story, guard or no guard. Whether the Met addresses the guard's conduct internally remains unknown, since the museum did not respond to the Post's request for comment.