
A 28-year-old Novato man has been sentenced to 180 days in jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge stemming from a 2025 online sting in Marinwood that authorities say targeted people seeking to meet minors for sex. Owen Michael Dombrowski was one of four men arrested in the operation, and Marin County Superior Court Judge Geoffrey Howard also placed him on two years of probation after he pleaded guilty to annoying or molesting a minor and a felony conspiracy charge.
According to the Marin Independent Journal, an undercover detective contacted potential predators online as part of the sting, and the Marin County Sheriff's Office has said the four suspects believed they were arranging to meet minors for sex. All four men were arrested in Marinwood, an unincorporated Marin County community that the Sheriff's Office Specialized Investigative Unit has used before as a base for undercover operations targeting online solicitation, elder fraud and drug networks, as Hoodline has previously reported.
Felony Charges Dropped in Plea Deal
As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors dismissed the original felony charges against Dombrowski of contacting a minor for lewd behavior and arranging to meet a minor to engage in lewd behavior, according to the Marin Independent Journal's report. In their place, Dombrowski pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor of annoying or molesting a minor and a separate felony conspiracy count.
Will Morehead, Dombrowski's attorney, said his client weighed the risks of proceeding to trial before accepting the deal. “Even with good odds at trial, my client understandably did not want to risk the worst potential consequences of a case like this, so he resolved for a lesser offense,” Morehead said, per the Marin Independent Journal.
Attorney Raises Concerns Over Grindr Decoy Tactics
Morehead also raised pointed questions about how law enforcement conducted the sting, saying investigators appeared to focus specifically on the dating app Grindr. Morehead said, describing the app as a space built around and used primarily by the LGBTQ community.
Central to that criticism is the decoy profile itself. Law enforcement used a photo in its decoy profile that an AI face-age estimator assessed as depicting a person who appeared to be 22 years old, according to the Marin Independent Journal's reporting. Morehead's objection points to a broader debate over how undercover officers construct online personas in sting operations, and whether the imagery used raises fairness questions even when the underlying conduct being investigated is not in dispute.
How the Marinwood Sting Unfolded
The four arrests trace back to a coordinated, single-day undercover sting that Marin County law enforcement agencies carried out on February 13, 2025, according to a release from the Marin County District Attorney's Office. That operation, branded Operation Broken Heart, was organized by the DA's Bureau of Investigations amid growing concern over digital child exploitation, and involved the Novato Police Department, the Marin County Sheriff's Office, the Marin County Specialized Investigative Unit, the Napa County Sheriff's Department, Marin Probation and the Northern California Regional Intelligence Center.
Alongside Dombrowski, the operation resulted in initial felony charges against Nassor Ngabira, then 24, of Santa Rosa; Melvin Rodriguez-Delafuente, then 27, of Richmond; and Jose Luis Ruiz Magallon, then 38, of Oakland, per the DA's Office. Following his arraignment, Dombrowski was released on bond under court orders barring him from being alone with any minor and requiring him to stay at least 20 yards from schools and playgrounds, the Marin Independent Journal reported at the time.
How the Co-Defendants' Cases Have Played Out
Ngabira's case reached its own resolution before Dombrowski's. He pleaded guilty in September 2025 to conspiracy and attempting to arrange a meeting with a minor, and Marin County Superior Court Judge Kelly Simmons sentenced him in November to 60 days in jail, two years of probation and mandatory sex offender registration, according to KZST.
Dombrowski's misdemeanor conviction under Penal Code 647.6 carries a maximum of one year in county jail and fines up to $5,000, and does not require physical contact to sustain a conviction, according to the Shouse Law Group. The felony charges that were dropped, under Penal Code 288.3, stem from 2006's Proposition 83, also known as Jessica's Law, which made it a felony to contact or arrange to meet a minor with intent to commit a sex crime and explicitly allows undercover officers to pose as minors online to bring such charges.
Under California's tiered sex offender registration system established by Senate Bill 384, lower-tier misdemeanor convictions like Dombrowski's typically carry a 10-year registration requirement, a lighter obligation than the lifetime registration reserved for higher-tier repeat or violent felony convictions, according to the Law Offices of Anna R. Yum.
Part of a Recurring Regional Pattern
Marinwood's sting is not an isolated case. Hoodline's own coverage has tracked a broader pattern of stings bearing the Operation Broken Heart name across Northern California, including a March 2024 sting in Contra Costa County that led to six arrests. Hoodline has also previously reported on a 2023 Marin County Sheriff's Office sting that led to the arrest of a San Rafael man accused of soliciting a minor, underscoring how frequently these operations recur in the region.









