Memphis/ Politics & Govt

Shelby County Commissioner Moves to Pull Funding From MSCS Takeover Lawsuit

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 21, 2026
Shelby County Commissioner Moves to Pull Funding From MSCS Takeover LawsuitSource: Google Street View

A Shelby County commissioner is pushing to cut off the money fueling a lawsuit that has stalled the state's takeover of Memphis-Shelby County Schools, arguing the district's resources belong in classrooms rather than courtrooms. Commissioner Britney Thornton, who represents District 10 and its 33 K-12 schools, has requested a resolution ending additional county funding for the litigation challenging the state-appointed MSCS Oversight Board.

The resolution has already cleared a Shelby County Commission committee, according to WREG, and now heads to the full commission, which will take it up on Monday. Both Shelby County government and MSCS have challenged the law creating the oversight board, and the case remains pending in federal court in Memphis. The county previously committed real money to that fight: commissioners voted 8-3 in May to allocate $200,000 toward the lawsuit after Gov. Bill Lee signed a law in April barring school districts from using their own education dollars to sue over state accountability measures, according to Chalkbeat.

What the Oversight Board Would Actually Control

The board at the center of the dispute was created by House Bill 662 and Senate Bill 714, which Tennessee lawmakers passed in April and Lee signed into law on May 22. The nine-member, state-appointed panel would have power to approve MSCS budgets, school closures, and any district purchase over $50,000, per the same Chalkbeat report. State Representative Mark White has confirmed that board members would be paid directly out of the MSCS school district budget, at the same rate as elected school board members, for a four-year period, as reported by localmemphis.com.

The board's rollout hit a wall on July 1, when U.S. District Judge Waverly D. Crenshaw Jr. issued a temporary restraining order halting it on its scheduled start date and ordering both sides to hold the pre-takeover status quo. That order came in response to the federal lawsuit Shelby County government and MSCS officials filed jointly in June. The 901 Report has covered the standoff as the case winds through court.

Dueling Arguments Over Audit Findings and Democracy

State officials have since pushed back hard. The Tennessee Attorney General's office moved to dismiss the federal lawsuit after a July 8 audit uncovered more than $119 million in district policy violations, including $54.1 million in potential fraud, waste, and abuse, according to the Tennessee Bar Association. Supporters of the oversight board point to that forensic audit and to student performance data as evidence that additional oversight is needed, per WREG's reporting.

Opponents see it differently. MSCS board member Michelle McKissack said the state takeover of a locally elected school board raises concerns about democracy itself and has questioned the state's intervention in the district, the station reports. Supporters of the elected MSCS board argue that local voters, not Nashville appointees, should retain control of the district, while opponents broadly contend the oversight board strips authority from elected local leaders.

Thornton's Case for Pulling the Plug on Litigation Funding

Thornton has cast the board as a temporary intervention rather than a permanent takeover, saying it will not exist forever and describing it as a time-bound decision that will disband once data shows progress and a tolerable performance threshold is reached. She has said the board needs to provide additional support rather than replace the elected school board, and she has acknowledged that Republicans have an agenda regarding Memphis schools even as she argues local leaders must hold themselves accountable.

Her push for accountability is grounded in what she says she has seen firsthand. Thornton has toured all 33 K-12 schools in her district and reported the use of substitute teachers in core subjects. She has also pointed to disparities in resources across the district, noting that Arlington received a $10 million infusion to its athletic program while Hamilton has an athletic room with broken equipment and holes in the turf.

The Numbers Behind the State's Case

MSCS is Tennessee's largest public school district, enrolling more than 100,000 students, and state standardized testing showed more than 75% of students failed to reach proficiency in reading and math in 2025, according to Chalkbeat. WREG reports that MSCS students are not guaranteed the ability to read on grade level even after 12 or 13 years in school. State testing data for 2026 did show improvements in reading and math proficiency compared with the previous year, though district achievement levels remain below statewide averages.

State lawmakers had already committed $7.6 million across the 2025-26 and 2026-27 budgets to fund the independent forensic audit that produced those fraud findings, according to the Tennessee House Republican Caucus. Local frustration with the school board predates the state's takeover law, too: the Shelby County Commission passed a resolution of no confidence in the MSCS Board of Education in January 2025, citing performance and leadership concerns, per the Tri-State Defender.

What Happens Monday

Supporters and opponents of the oversight board are expected to present their arguments directly to Shelby County commissioners when the resolution reaches the full commission Monday. The vote will decide whether county funding for the legal fight continues or whether Thornton succeeds in redirecting those dollars elsewhere. The case sits alongside other recent turns in the district's governance fights, including Hoodline's coverage of a judge blocking a board election shuffle and the wind-down of the state's prior turnaround district.