
A Castlemont High School student was rushed to the hospital today after what authorities described as a violent assault on campus, with witnesses reporting the student was wheeled out on a stretcher, his head wrapped in gauze. Oakland police and fire officials responded to the East Oakland campus around 10:23 AM, and the incident was logged by dispatchers as an assault before first responders confirmed one patient needed medical transport.
Authorities have not released details on the student's condition, and it remains unclear whether anyone has been arrested in connection with the assault, according to ABC7 News. What is known comes largely from witnesses on scene: one told the outlet they watched a student with gauze around his head loaded into an ambulance, while another said two boys were led out of the building in handcuffs by police. Some witnesses also described hearing police announce a lockdown, with officers ordering that no students leave their classrooms during the response. Separately, KTVU reported that the incident was later logged by authorities as a reported stabbing requiring medical transport.
Second Violent Incident at an Oakland Campus in Weeks
Thursday's assault marks the second violent incident to hit an Oakland Unified School District campus within the past month. On July 31, a targeted shooting at the Parker Community Resource Center, an OUSD adult education campus in East Oakland, killed 25-year-old student Kimarii McLemore and injured a second victim. Oakland Police Chief James Beere confirmed that the shooting was an intentional act that forced an immediate lockdown, according to KQED.
The back-to-back incidents landed at a moment of deep strain for OUSD's approach to campus safety. The district's Board of Education passed Resolution No. 1920-0260, known as the George Floyd Resolution, in June 2020 to eliminate the Oakland Schools Police Department, shifting funding toward restorative justice facilitators and non-carceral safety plans, per the Oaklandside. That decision explains why sworn officers are not permanently stationed inside OUSD high schools like Castlemont.
Budget Cuts Hit Campus Support Staff
Castlemont, located at 8601 MacArthur Boulevard and enrolling 694 students in the 2025-26 school year, according to California Department of Education data, relies instead on school-based violence interrupters and nonprofit partner staff from groups like Youth ALIVE! and Oakland Kids First to de-escalate peer disputes and provide trauma support. Nearly half of the school's students, 46 percent, are English Language Learners. Those intervention roles have faced recurring uncertainty tied to district budget reallocations, the Oaklandside's reporting notes.
In February, the OUSD board voted to eliminate more than 400 positions to close a nearly $100 million budget deficit, cutting non-instructional roles, including restorative justice facilitators, counselors, and community school managers, under pressure from county education officials. The district's fiscal troubles deepened further this month when OUSD missed an August county deadline to place a parcel tax renewal on the local ballot, a setback Hoodline previously reported that will delay potential local tax revenue until 2028 and leave the district reliant on existing state allocations and operational cuts.
City and Community Efforts to Curb Violence
City leaders have tried to counter the trend from a different angle. The Oakland City Council adopted a four-year Community Violence Reduction Plan in June, deploying voter-approved Measure NN parcel tax funds toward community-based violence intervention in high-risk neighborhoods, including Castlemont, according to the City of Oakland. Oversight commissioners even held public feedback sessions directly at Castlemont High School in April.
The Castlemont community has absorbed repeated loss in recent years. Dr. Marvin Boomer, a popular math teacher and career coach at the school, was killed in May 2025 when a vehicle fleeing a brief police pursuit struck pedestrians in East Oakland; an 18-year-old driver faced felony vehicular manslaughter charges in the case, as Hoodline's earlier coverage of the teacher's death case detailed. Amid that backdrop, mentorship efforts have also taken root: a former Castlemont student who survived a gunshot wound at 17 was recently awarded a work van and professional tools by the OK Program of Oakland to launch a plumbing business and mentor other local youth, a story Hoodline covered earlier this month.
No further details on the condition of today's victim, the identities of those detained, or potential charges have been released. This is a developing story, and Hoodline will update as authorities provide more information.









