
Two people were shot Friday afternoon on Chef Menteur Highway in New Orleans East, with one victim treated and released at the scene and the other taken to a hospital, according to police. New Orleans Police Department officers responded to the 6000 block just after 12:30 p.m. and found the shooting had left two people injured.
Officers said one victim suffered a gunshot wound and was taken to a hospital by EMS, while the other was treated and released less than an hour later, as reported by Fox 8. Police described the incident as a shooting near Pines Village and said the investigation remains active. WWL-TV reported that emergency medical services treated the first gunshot victim on scene before releasing them, confirming the timeline officers gave.
A Familiar Stretch of Highway
The 6000 block of Chef Menteur Highway falls within the jurisdiction of NOPD's Seventh District, which covers New Orleans East and operates out of its station on Dwyer Road. The corridor, designated U.S. Route 90, functions as a major commercial and transport artery connecting Gentilly and New Orleans East along the Pines Village boundary.
This is not the first time officers have been called to that exact block. Seventh District officers investigated a shooting in the same stretch of Chef Menteur Highway on September 17, 2025, that left an adult male hospitalized. The Metropolitan Crime Commission also recorded a fatal shooting there in May 2022, when a 36-year-old woman was killed on that stretch of the highway.
Part of a Cluster Near Pines Village
Friday's shooting also adds to a string of recent gunfire calls in and around Pines Village. Just ten days earlier, a 16-year-old boy was shot and hospitalized in the neighboring 6300 block of Morrison Road, a case Hoodline previously covered after NOPD withheld the teen's condition. Earlier in August, another nonfatal shooting wounded a victim near Chef Menteur Highway on Papani Drive, and in July, police searched for a driver accused of ramming victims with an SUV along the 6700 block of the same highway.
Open questions remain in Friday's case. Investigators have not disclosed a suspect, a motive, or whether the two victims were targeted or caught in unrelated crossfire, and NOPD's Seventh District detectives are continuing to work the case.
Citywide Trends Offer Context
The shooting comes even as New Orleans has seen a historic, multi-year decline in gun violence overall. Metropolitan Crime Commission statistics for the week ending August 16, 2026, show the city recorded 97 nonfatal shooting incidents year-to-date, a 24 percent decline compared to 2025 and a 67 percent drop from 2022. Separately, Police1 reported in July that citywide violent crime had fallen to levels unrecorded since the 1960s, with NOPD logging 38 homicides through June 25, 2026.
Even against that broader downward trend, corridors like Chef Menteur Highway continue to see repeat nonfatal and fatal shootings, underscoring how localized clusters of violence can persist even as citywide numbers improve.
Potential Legal Exposure for a Shooter
Louisiana law lays out significant criminal exposure for whoever is eventually identified as responsible. Under Louisiana Revised Statute 14:34, battery committed with a dangerous weapon is classified as aggravated battery, carrying up to 10 years imprisonment with or without hard labor and fines as high as $5,000. Separately, Louisiana Revised Statute 14:94 defines illegal use of weapons as the intentional or criminally negligent discharge of a firearm where death or great bodily harm could result, punishable by up to two years imprisonment, with enhanced penalties of up to 10 years at hard labor if the discharge occurs from a vehicle.
No arrests have been announced in connection with Friday's shooting, and NOPD has not released details on a suspect description or possible motive. Anyone with information is expected to be directed to contact Seventh District detectives as the investigation continues.









