Tenderloin crime: SFPD seeks wine bottle attacker, man dies after punching attack, more

Tenderloin crime: SFPD seeks wine bottle attacker, man dies after punching attack, more
Photo: Carrie Sisto/Hoodline
By Carrie Sisto - Published on April 18, 2019.

SFPD's Tenderloin Station has been busy since our last local crime recap, so here's a roundup of the more notable crimes in the neighborhood in the past couple of weeks. All details come from official police reports, unless otherwise noted.

Police seek public's assistance to find wine-bottle attacker

Tenderloin police are asking the public for assistance in identifying a suspect accused of attacking a man with a wine bottle earlier this year, causing traumatic head injuries.

Around 11 p.m. on February 8, the suspect was at a restaurant on the 600 block of Market Street, when he got into an argument with restaurant staff.

The suspect initially left the restaurant, but re-entered it shortly thereafter.  Although the victim wasn’t involved in the argument, the suspect attacked him with a glass wine bottle before fleeting on foot eastbound on Market Street. 

This man is suspected of using the pictured wine bottle to attack a restaurant patron on February 8. | Photo: SFPD
Another photo of the suspected wine bottle attacker.

Robber snatches speakers in mid-afternoon attack

Around 1 p.m. on April 17, a 53-year-old man was attacked on the unit block of Jones Street (near Market) by an unknown suspect. The suspect stole the victim’s speakers, and fled on foot. 

Man robbed by two unknown suspects

Sometime between 11 p.m. on April 13 and 1 a.m. on April 14, a 31-year-old man was approached by two male suspects of unknown age on the 400 block of O’Farrell Street (near Mason).

One of the suspects demanded the victim hand over his property, while the second grabbed the man’s money out of his backpack. Both suspects fled on foot, and have not been identified.  

Man loses cellphone to Muni robber

Around 8:15 p.m. on April 13, a man said to be 29 years old grabbed a 30-year-old man’s cellphone while aboard a Muni bus near the intersection of McAllister and Fillmore streets. The suspect then fled on foot with the victim’s phone. The victim was uninjured, and the suspect was not arrested.

Man attacked after finding bag near BART

Around 8:30 a.m. on April 13, a 39-year-old man found a bag on the street on the 100 block of Eddy Street (near Mason). An unknown suspect approached and demanded the man hand over the bag. When the man refused, the suspect punched him in the face. The victim released the bag and walked towards the Powell Street BART station, where he notified BART police about the incident. 

Two stabbed after argument escalates

Around 6:15 a.m. on April 12, a 28-year-old man got into an argument with a man said to be 30 years old near the intersection of Larkin and McAllister streets. As the argument escalated, the suspect stabbed the victim with a knife. 

A 33-year-old woman intervened in the fight, and was also stabbed. Both victims were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, while the suspect has not been identified. 

Woman stabbed after failing to mace attacker

After a verbal argument around 10:17 p.m. on April 10 on the 300 block of Golden Gate Avenue, a 30-year-old woman attempted to mace a male suspect of unknown age, but missed. The man then stabbed the woman, and fled on foot. The woman was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries. 

Woman knocked unconscious in bus-stop attack

Around 2:55 p.m. on April 10, two men said to be in their twenties approached a 38-year-old woman waiting at a bus stop at the intersection of Turk and Jones streets.

The two suspects then got in an altercation with the woman, punching her several times and causing her to lose consciousness. When the woman awoke, she discovered her wallet, phone, and money had been taken. 

Man dies in hospital after punching attack

A 60-year-old man got into a verbal altercation with a 39-year-old man on the 300 block of Hyde Street (near Eddy) on April 9. The suspect then punched the victim, causing serious injuries. The victim was transported to the hospital, but died three days later. The suspect has been arrested. 

Teen arrested after snatching woman’s phone

Two teens approached a 27-year-old woman on the unit block of Mason Street (near Market) around 2:07 p.m. on April 9. One of them, said to be about 13, snatched the woman’s phone and fled, but the victim chased him down and recovered her phone. The younger suspect was arrested, but the other suspect, said to be 15-17, fled and remains unidentified. 

Man arrested after knocking trespasser unconscious

A 39-year-old man was arrested around 1:22 p.m. on April 9 on the 300 block of Hyde Street (near Eddy) after knocking a 60-year-old man unconscious. The suspect alleged that the victim had been trespassing on his property, which is why he hit him. The suspect was arrested, and the victim was taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

Suspect arrested after stabbing man in foot

Around 1:56 p.m. on April 8, a 43-year-old man got into a fight with a 61-year-old man on the 100 block of Jones Street (near Golden Gate), alleging that the man owed him money. The suspect then pulled out a set of scissors, and began attacking the victim. The older man kicked the suspect in self-defense, and the suspect stabbed him in the foot. The suspect has been arrested. 

Woman robbed while opening store

A 32-year-old woman was opening a business on the 300 block of Golden Gate Avenue (near Hyde) around 7:20 a.m. on April 7, when she looked at live security camera footage and saw a man, said to be in his late fifties, exiting the store. The man then put an unknown object to the back of the woman’s head and stole money from her before fleeing on foot. No arrest has been made. 

Man attacked, robbed in midnight attack

An unknown suspect attacked a 51-year-old man near the intersection of Turk and Leavenworth streets around midnight on April 7. He then stole the victim's phone, and fled the scene. The victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries; no arrest has been made. 

Man loses painting in pepper-spray attack

Around 8:30 p.m. on April 5, a 35-year-old man was pepper-sprayed by a man said to be in his thirties near the intersection of 6th and Market streets. The suspect, who has not been identified, then stole a painting the victim was carrying and fled in an unknown direction.

Man stabbed by unknown suspect

A 52-year-old man stated to police that an unknown suspect stabbed him in the back around 5 a.m. on April 4, near the intersection of Ellis and Jones streets. The suspect allegedly fled in an unknown direction and remains at large. 

Anyone with information about the incidents described above is asked to call the SFPD tip line at (415) 575-4444 or Text-a-Tip to TIP411 and begin the message with SFPD. You may remain anonymous.