Boston/ Crime & Emergencies
AI Assisted Icon
Published on March 03, 2024
Nine Residents and Dog Safely Escape Accidental Midnight Blaze in Historic Abington HomeSource: Facebook/Abington Fire Department

A blaze ravaged a historic 1800s home in Abington, where a group of nine people, including a canine companion, narrowly escaped without injury. The fire, which ignited just minutes before the clock struck midnight on Friday, was reportedly caused by an item placed too close to a space heater. According to the MassLive, firefighters rushed to the scene at 287 High St. after receiving a 911 call from an occupant inside the house.

The historic dwelling, with renovations over the years, was a tinderbox of challenges for the fire crews. Constructed in 1810 and boasting a sizeable 140-foot diameter along with a 50-foot depth, the building put the fire department's skills to the test. As told by Boston 25 News, assisting crews from several neighboring towns were summoned amidst the chaos.

The response was formidable, with firefighters from Holbrook, Rockland, and Whitman amongst the first responders, with subsequent aid from Brockton, East Bridgewater, Hanson, Weymouth, and other local teams. Multiple alarms were sounded, the fire officials eventually calling for a third to contain the conflagration. "With extensive, difficult overhaul by all companies on scene," the fire was subdued in under 45 minutes, as depicted by a Facebook post from the Abington Fire Department.

The home, veiled by the darkness yet betrayed by the lick of flames, became a dramatic backdrop as the first responders worked tirelessly. They ensured that "everyone was able to escape," including the eight teens who had been in a separate part of the house from the three other inhabitants and their dog, Boston 25 News described. The operation concluded with the building handed back to the homeowner, and all responders had cleared the scene by 3:30 a.m., per the fire department's update.