
A 32-year-old barber living in Miami's Allapattah neighborhood is facing six felony charges after Miami-Dade Sheriff's Office detectives searched his apartment and found images showing the sexual abuse of children, according to arrest records. Carlos Gutierrez was arrested at his home at 10:40 a.m. on Thursday, and jail records show he was booked into the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center at 4:05 p.m. that same day.
Detectives responded to Gutierrez's apartment at the Oak Plaza Tower, a high-rise near the Miami Health District and Jackson Memorial Hospital, according to records reviewed by WPLG Local 10. Per the arrest report, Gutierrez had images showing the sexual abuse of boys and girls who appeared to be between the ages of 4 and 8. He now faces six counts of possession of images depicting the sexual performance by a child, and his bond has been set at $45,000.
According to the arrest report, Gutierrez told investigators he created a Google account specifically to obtain the content for his own pleasure and said his focus on the material stemmed from curiosity. The report also states he joined a WhatsApp chat group where he was able to access images of children being sexually abused, and that he deleted the files only after Google flagged and shut down his account, per the same account of the investigation.
How Automated Flagging Triggers Local Cases
Cases like this one typically begin far from any police station. Tech companies such as Google are legally required to report suspected child sexual abuse material they detect, and those reports flow into the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children's CyberTipline, which took in 21.3 million reports containing 61.8 million files of suspected abuse material in 2025, according to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Those tips are then routed to regional investigators for follow-up.
In Florida, digital exploitation leads are funneled through three Internet Crimes Against Children task forces based out of the Gainesville Police Department, the Osceola County Sheriff's Office, and the Broward County Sheriff's Office, which together process tens of thousands of CyberTipline reports each year, per the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children's Florida office. It's this pipeline — an automated flag from a tech company feeding into a task force, then a local search warrant — that appears to have led deputies to Gutierrez's door.
A Newly Elected Sheriff's Office Handles the Case
The search warrant was executed by the Miami-Dade Sheriff's Office rather than the Miami-Dade Police Department, reflecting a structural change that took effect in January 2025, when the department officially transitioned into an elected sheriff's office under Sheriff Rosie Cordero-Stutz. The shift, detailed by the Florida Sheriffs Association, restored an independently elected sheriff to Miami-Dade County for the first time in nearly 60 years, a change mandated statewide by Florida's Amendment 10.
Gutierrez's case has been assigned to Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jason Bloch, who took office in the Eleventh Judicial Circuit in January 2025 after winning his primary election the previous August. Bloch, whose background is detailed on Ballotpedia, had previously served as an appointed circuit judge from 2014 to 2017 and worked as a Miami-Dade Assistant County Attorney.
Penalties Escalate With Each Image
Under Florida Statute 827.071(5)(a), simple possession or intentional viewing of child sexual abuse material is charged as a third-degree felony for each individual image or video, carrying up to five years in prison, five years of probation, and a $5,000 fine per count. That statute means the number of felony charges a defendant faces is tied directly to the number of files investigators recover.
Penalties can climb further under Florida law. Charges escalate to a second-degree felony carrying up to 15 years in prison per count if ten or more images involve victims under age 5, depict sadomasochistic abuse, or show sexual battery, according to Dickstein Law. It remains unclear from available records whether any of the images in Gutierrez's case meet those aggravating thresholds.
Part of a Pattern in Miami-Dade
Gutierrez's arrest is the latest in a string of similar cases across Miami-Dade County in recent months. Last September, Miami police added 16 felony counts against 21-year-old Osher Pittman of Allapattah after a search warrant at his residence uncovered more than 100 files of child and animal sexual abuse material, as Hoodline previously reported.
In February, Miami police arrested 36-year-old Daniel Nemehiah Little on 15 counts of possessing images depicting the sexual performance by a child after his spouse turned over digital evidence from a laptop and hard drive. Booking for adult pre-trial detainees like Gutierrez, Pittman, and Little typically runs through the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center, a 1,300-bed facility at 7000 NW 41st Street managed by the Miami-Dade County Corrections and Rehabilitation Department, according to jail system records.
Open questions remain in Gutierrez's case, including whether additional devices or accounts tied to him are under forensic review and whether federal prosecutors could pursue parallel charges. It's also unclear how his defense will respond to the statements attributed to him in the arrest report as the case proceeds before Judge Bloch.









