Indianapolis/ Crime & Emergencies

Beech Grove Man Gets 17 Years After Prior Conviction Triggers Federal Minimum

AI Assisted Icon
Published on August 21, 2026
Beech Grove Man Gets 17 Years After Prior Conviction Triggers Federal MinimumSource: Google Street View

A 37-year-old Beech Grove man has been sentenced to more than 17 years in federal prison for distributing child sexual abuse material on the messaging app Kik, after prosecutors said his prior state conviction for photographing a sleeping 7-year-old girl pushed his punishment well past the standard first-offense range. Shane Austin Leaneagh will also serve a lifetime of supervised release once he is out, and he has been ordered to pay $34,000 in restitution.

Leaneagh's full sentence works out to 205 months, or 17 years and one month, according to Fox 59, which reported that he pleaded guilty to possession and distribution of child sexual abuse material. Court documents cited by the station say Leaneagh distributed images and videos of children engaged in sexually explicit conduct in August 2023, spreading the material across seven different Kik accounts. U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana Tom Wheeler said Leaneagh's behavior was despicable and that he targeted children for his own purposes, adding that the abuse files will be circulated among predators and lead to repeated victimization.

A Raid That Uncovered Hundreds of Files

Officers from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department and the Beech Grove Police Department jointly searched Leaneagh's home in January 2024, according to WTHR. Investigators uncovered more than 600 images and videos of child sexual abuse material on his devices, per the same account, with federal authorities noting the content depicted numerous victims, including infants and toddlers.

The station's report also revealed that Leaneagh's record extended beyond the child exploitation case. In 2022, a Monroe County court convicted him of taking sexually explicit photographs of a child while she slept, with WTHR reporting the victim was 7 years old at the time. That same year, Leaneagh was also convicted of intimidation in Jackson County after sending a former co-worker messages that threatened sexual acts and suggested he had been stalking her.

Why the Prior Conviction Mattered

That earlier Monroe County conviction is what turned a standard federal sentencing range into a much longer one. Under 18 U.S.C. § 2252A, distributing child sexual abuse material normally carries a penalty of 5 to 20 years for a first offense, according to RAINN. But for a defendant with a prior state or federal sex offense conviction, that range jumps to a mandatory minimum of 15 years, with a maximum of 40.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Carolyn A. Haney prosecuted the case on behalf of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Indiana, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. The case was investigated and prosecuted as part of Project Safe Childhood, a Justice Department initiative launched in 2006 to coordinate federal, state, and local resources against child sexual exploitation. Resources for victims of child exploitation are available through the Project Safe Childhood website.

Part of a Broader Pattern in Central Indiana

Leaneagh's case is not an isolated one in the region. In May, the Southern District of Indiana's U.S. Attorney's Office secured a nine-year federal sentence for a former IMPD officer who traded more than 600 illicit files on Kik, the same platform Leaneagh used. And in July, federal judges in the district handed down a 14-year sentence to another repeat sex offender caught possessing child abuse material after prior convictions, offering a rough benchmark against which Leaneagh's 17-year term stands out as one of the harsher recent outcomes in central Indiana federal court.